• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Mk. IX Spitfire - 411 Squadron RCAF - Polly

f1matt

Continuing on with sharing my old builds. Here is one one of my favorites. Hasegawa's fantastic 1/48 Mk IX Spitfire that I converted to an e wing. A few extra bits here and there. Elevators dropped. My mother is a very talented artist and I asked her to apply some markings by hand. She added the maple leaf on the nose and the name Polly.

The invasion markings were masked and sprayed on initially. I went over the airbrushed stripes with thinned paints of the same colour with a brush to make the edges appear more crude and add some texture. While I like the look of sharp invasion stripes that was often not the case in reality. I hoped to get the rushed appearance without going overboard.

DSC_0065-1.jpg

DSC_0068-1.jpg

DSC_0485.jpg

DSC_0486.jpg

DSC_0487.jpg

DSC_0488.jpg

DSC_0489.jpg

DSC_0494.jpg

DSC_0492.jpg

DSC_0497.jpg

DSC_0495.jpg

DSC_0501.jpg

Thanks for looking.

matt :snoopy

Really nice work Matt, do my eyes deceive me? Did you really make the invasion stripes sloppy, just like it would have been!? (y)

Very nice built Matt. I agree, we spend too much time trying to make those perfect stripes .

Having an artist in your back pocket is a really nice option.

Cheers, Christian B)

Much thanks all! To be honest i could have made the stripes quite a bit sloppier. Maybe next time. Would love to get my grubby paws on one of Tamiya`s big Spits. I`m surprised no one asked about the flaked roundel on the starboard wing. And in truth that was an accident. Had removed some tape that was applied for a late paint touch-up. I freaked but soon realized it would be a pain to fix so I just left it.

matt :blink

Back