• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Mitsubishi Ki-46-III

Not much to show for this update, primary colors are on, engines installed, I need to do some touch up work where my masking failed and then a couple days for the paint to cure before starting additional coatings and decals !

ki46-b11.jpg

OK, decals on, weathering done, fiddly bits installed, I'm calling this one done !

This kit was a real treat to build with no real issues right up to the decals. They sucked. The white surrounds on the meatballs were not consistently opaque and had I used them on the upper wing and fuselage they would have looked out of register. Fortunately I had some after market decals from Techmod, unfortunately they were not flexible enough to stretch over the aileron actuators so touch up was required there. The white on the unit markings started sloughing off before they even loosened from the backing ant broke when I tried to put them on. I was able to save most of them but again had to do some touch up. The aircraft numbers didn't do me any favors either and look OK at a distance but not under close scrutiny. I didn't go real heavy on the weathering as these aircraft operated out of the home islands and weren't subjected to the ravages that many of their aircraft were, anyway, so much for the blabbing, here are the pix...

ki46-b12.jpg

ki46-b13.jpg

ki46-b14.jpg

ki46-b15.jpg

ki46-b16.jpg

ki46-b17.jpg

ki46-b18.jpg

ki46-b19.jpg

Good looking model. I like the stepped nosed Dinahs better than the glass nosed ones. Was the aircraft a success as a fighter?

The history states they did have some successes against the B-29's but it was mostly a case of too little, too late.

Back