• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Metal paint clear coats

Phil

A few questions on metal finishes and clear coats.

I have done a few tests of this product brand which I intend to use on my B25 CTA build.

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=137_643_647_651&products_id=29688

Using Tamiya rattlecans A/s 12 and T/s 29 semi gloss black as a base on a plastic card strip, I sprayed their stainless steel straight from the jar and let dry for 2 hours.

Polished both test sides and then used Tamiya yellow masking tape for a

''paint lift'' test by sticking and removing 10 times, which gave no paint lift at all.

Further testing on the hardness of the product showed me tonight that no metal residue rubbed off onto my fingers no matter how much I rubbed over it, after five days of spraying.

Now fast forward to the clear coating stage,
When the decals are on the model I will need a clear coat.

Future is not an option as it is no longer sold here.

I have two products I can get, Testors Metaliser Sealer, or Alclad II gloss clear

With the Alclad range, what are the differences with these two, and which would be more suited for keeping the metal look as it is when sprayed

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/paints-accessories/paints-thinners/alclad-ii/alclad-gloss-klear-kote-4oz120ml

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/paints-accessories/paints-thinners/alclad-ii/alclad-aqua-gloss-4oz120ml

also with the Aqua gloss it states :

Aqua Gloss Clear can also be used on canopies and clear plastic parts can be dipped in it to improve clarity.

Has anyone tried this on clear canopies?

PHIL ,

I cannot comment on the Mr.Surfacer Metallics , but as far as th ALClad ... I love this line !! Aqua Gloss Clear , speaking to AlClad , is an Acrylic based resin clear coat , as aposed to th other clear coats that AlClad offers that are Alcohol based. If you wanna dip it for Canopies , Dip it th same way that you would dip a Canopy in Future ( or Kleer) . As far as th rest of Their metallics ... They are Awesome !!!

I shot a 1/35th scale Car totally in AlClad & loved th way it turned out !! AlClad is a Lacquer based paint - so a lil' smelly in th house but this stuff ROX !!! :ro:

Admiral_quarter_front_shot_Close%7E0.JPG

AlClad_Paint_for_th_Admiral.JPG

I followed this system -
Black Base primer & filler - Let dry for at least a Day ( 24 hours)

Gloss Black Base - This stuff needs a fair time to throughly Dry - I let it De-Gass & totally cure for 7 days !! Don't try to cut it short , it could get messy & bleed through th top coat reeking havoc on th paint job !

I then shot the whole car in AlClad Chrome - misting ( @15 psi, for every coat of AlClad) 2 very light coats - if you go heavy with this coat you will get a cloudy haze & ruin th Chrome look.

After th Chrome cured for a day I shot ( misted ) 2 coats of the Aqua Gloss Clear as a sealer , letting it dry for 24 hours .

I then shot th Car , taping off the Chrome grill( 3M blue painters tape - low-tack tape - I had no bad reaction between th tape & th Chrome - just make sure it's 100% cured ), side body molding etc. , in Transparent Red in 2/3 misted coats, If I would've added more coats I would have gotten a deeper Red.

After th Red dried for a day I then shot th entire car in 2 misted coats of Aqua Gloss Clear to seal & protect th paint.

You can glue parts together after They are painted with AlClad , but be Very delicate. It will eat th finish.

ALClad has many types of different colors & ALl have awesome coverage & an unmatched Shine !!

Admiral_Rear_Quarter_shot%7E0.JPG

Admiral_Front_head_on_.JPG

Look at that Shine of th Bumper as it reflects off of the Car Body !!

Also **** You could also get some Micro-Mesh buffing pads & polish the primer & Black Base coats( to get a Super Shine) - but go lightly .... SInce They went on as a light coat it's easy to buff through th finish. :pinch:

Any other questions Ask away !!

I have MPC's new '72 Charger (1/16) on Deck in th Panzer Shoppe to be built & get an AlClad Paint job !!

- http://alclad2.com/ - Check out Their whole line !! They even have a Translucent Paint that Changes color as th light hits it from different angles !! :dude

** Also .... make sure that th model/parts that you are gonna shoot with AlClad are free of Defects - a nice Clean smooth finish. AlClad , as thin as it goes on , these defects will most definitely show through th paint !

*** One more thing ... What ever you do .. DO NOT SHAKE up the Aqua Gloss Clear - You'll get air bubbles in it that take Forever to leave th Gloss in th bottle. I learned that th hard way ! It took a Day for th Aqua Gloss to "De-Gas" from that !! :pinch: :blush: :blink :huh:

:erik

Phil you'll like the product, and yes there is a learning curve-but it's NOT that hardto learn.
All you need to do is good preparation (you do that anyway, right?) :hmmm :) .
Don't let the nay sayers steer you wrong, Alclad is really good for many types of applications, not just chrome parts and natural metal air planes
:mpup

panzerace007
So you too like AlClad. I could tell by the subtle phrases you used :D

Phil

panzerace007
So you too like AlClad. I could tell by the subtle phrases you used :D

Affirmative . I dig th Alclad !! Especially being so thin ... , it allows for some Depth. An 'Ol School (US) painting method for some finishes (Cars) - darker on th bottom & work you way up in thinner coats. AlClad is perfect for this (IMHO) with all of their tones th field is wide Open !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcWVL4B-4pI​
Reved up like a Deuce , another runner in th night !

:erik

Thanks for the info, yes I will have to bite the bullet and give the Alclad a go, love your 35th car there!

The Mr Metal paint I have is acrylic based so I'm guessing the Aqua gloss clear would suit it well, and great to find out about the clear dipping qualities of it too.

My LHS did not have any Alclad or Alclad clears, they did have a bottle of Testors metaliser sealer, I test sprayed it over my test piece that was sprayed with Mr Hobby stainless which was polished and it did not dull it so at least I have that for this project.

I did have a look at the Alclad site last night and noticed the colour change paint!

All you need to do is good preparation (you do that anyway, right?)

:D sometimes it's better than others!!!! this B25 is getting as good as I can give it, I won't say it will be perfect though!! but will see - how much I can see! which is really getting bad some times!

Back