• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Messerschmitt Bf 109K-4(with DB 605L) now FINISHED

matrixone

Here it is, the finished Hasegawa 1/48 scale Bf 109K-4.

This model is not the usual K-4, this one is a model of one of the few of its type that was fitted with the DB 605L engine.
The DB 605L was originally intended for use with the Bf 109K-14 but the worsening war situation forced the RLM to cancel the planned K-14 production, before the K-14 was cancelled there was a small number of DB 605L engines built complete with the modified engine mounts, cowlings, and special four blade VDM 9-12199 propellers, once it was official there was to be no K-14 series production the engines and parts were sat aside so as not to interrupt the production of the K-4 and it was not until several weeks later after a slow down in the delivery of the DB 605D the plant manager was given approval to use the DB 605L engine and components to keep the production line working. Since the DB 605L was designed to be fitted to the standard K-4 airframe there were no problems with the change.
It is unknown how many DB 605L powered K-4s were built, there have been some stories of K-14s that made it to the front in the last weeks of the war but these were most likely just K-4s with the DB 605L engine and four blade propellers.

On to the pictures...

h68802b7.JPG

h87c52f4.JPG

hbc8dab4.JPG

h304999f.JPG

h45e50c3.JPG

h5a7f1b3.JPG

h4353b01.JPG

hd4813ab.JPG

hb8defe7.JPG

h7ee3cf1.JPG

Matrixone

That's really cool Les. My brain just does not compute 109 and 4 bladed propeller. It looks so different.

Thanks guys!

Not sure what's going on but I have had a lot of trouble getting on here at MA today...I have been getting a blank white page with a notice in the upper lefthand corner that the database could not be connected. Strange. :idonno

More pictures of this model.

h16286b3.JPG

hf43e3eb.JPG

h1e2f1de.JPG

haacf92a.JPG

h1bf122f.JPG

Matrixone

Another awesome build Les (y) Your photos are always inspiring. They really do fool the eye. Bob posted a threa earlier about the page being down due to the host. So it isn't just down for you.

Thanks Ryan!
I had to work quick when getting the pictures of this model, I had only thin slivers of sunlight to work with and that's why there are a mix of the model in shaded and sunlight conditions.

It was not until a short time ago I read Bob's notice about the site problems, before that I could only see just a few random parts of the forums...most of the time I was getting the blank page. :huh:

hf071bb4.JPG

Matrixone

Seems to be steady now doesn't it? Really great build Les. Those legs don't look like they were to steady do they?

Thanks for the kind words!

Bob,
The 109 landing gear design was not the best but it did seem to work okay once the pilot had some experience with the machine. I admire the skill level shown by 109 pilots, imagine trying to land these aircraft on icy or muddy airstrips on the Eastern front. :eek:hmy:

Since last night the site seems to be working just fine. :D

Matrixone

Back