• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Making Scale Vehicle Mud Effects

razorboy

MakingMudCoverPage-1.jpg

Making Realistic Vehicle Mud Effects
Weathering can greatly enhance any military vehicle model and one of the easiest weathering effects you can recreate is mud. There are several suitable mediums that can be used to recreate scale “Mud” such as plaster, resins and epoxies but I prefer to use paper mache for it’s workability in coloring and application as well as providing a slower drying time, allowing for last minute corrections. I usually add some scale foliage pieces to simulate a muddy / turf effect.

You Will Need:
* Re-sealable glass or plastic container
* Paper Mache (I prefer the Celluclay Brand)
* PVA Glue (I prefer Elmer’s White or Carpenter’s Glue)
* Water-based acrylic paint (your choice of brand and color)
* Water (tap water is fine)
* Scale foliage (natural or synthetic - your choice)

The “Mix”
Mix.jpg
1) Add the desired amount of Celluclay to your mixing / storage container
2) Add the desired amount of PVA Glue to the mix
3) Determine and add the desired color to your “Mud”
4) Slowly add the water to the mix and stir, keeping in mind that the consistency you are trying to achieve is that of raw cookie dough. Adjust consistency by adding more water or more Celluclay
DSCN2111.jpg

5) Add the desired amount of foliage or if you want to simply simulate all mud, omit any added vegetation - Once thoroughly mixed, keep covered in between applications.
DSCN2114.jpg
Application
Using an applicator (your choice) - I prefer an Exacto knife and long toothpicks apply the mix, gently pressing the “Mud” onto each surface -better insuring proper adhesion. 

DSCN2118.jpg

Remember, one of the great things about using this type of medium is the slower drying time, allowing for touch-ups and the addition of scale turf, weeds, sticks, etc..

Once the “Mud” has dried it can be shaded, washed and high-lighted at your discretion. My preferred mixture normally surface dries in about 6 hours and cures completely after about 24 hours.

DSCN2121.jpg

Here are a few examples of the finished Mud Effect -
DSCN2122.jpg

DSCN2123.jpg

DSCN1913a.jpg

Notice in the diorama pictures how the color of the mud and the vegetation pieces on the vehicle matches the mud and vegetation colors and textures on the diorama base.
DSCN2140.jpg

DSCN21810001.jpg
© 2010 Razorboy Productions - All rights reserved

rb

I like the chunks of stuff in the mud, makes it look like it's really been chewing up the ground.

Thanks Dave!

Back