• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MAIN BATTLE TANK CAMPAIGN "VOTE HERE"

We'll just have to see how the timing works out - but I have an Abrams I want to build for my HET and another for a vignette.

We don't even have enough people yet to worry about start times or duration.

B)

I'll say a 'qualified' yes. Depends upon whether I can find a Tamiya 'Type 74' at the right price.

h68f35a7.jpg

Built one of these many, many years ago an really enjoyed it. Just feel like going back and 're-visiting an old friend' if you know what I mean.

Ian.

I'll say a 'qualified' yes. Depends upon whether I can find a Tamiya 'Type 74' at the right price.

h68f35a7.jpg

Built one of these many, many years ago an really enjoyed it. Just feel like going back and 're-visiting an old friend' if you know what I mean.

Ian.

Neat subject Choice, Sir!

I'm thinking about doing this. Do you guys think this fits?

h48b9333.jpg

Thoughts?

B)

I would certainly call that a mbt. Even if someone was to do one of the Soviet object series of cold war prototype I would still call those a viable subject

Just to play the Devil's Advocate :evil: , the T-10 was classed as a "Heavy Tank" not as a "Main Battle Tank". While it had the armour and firepower, it lacked the mobility of the Main Battle Tank concept. Soviet doctrine at the time used the Heavy Tank units in support of Mechanized Infantry assaults, destroying "soft" targets (buildings, bunkers, weapons pits, etc) and taking on opposing armour only when necessary. The Heavy Tank became obsolete with the introduction of the T-54 series, considered by many to be the first Soviet MBT.

The M60 when introduced was a Generation 2 MBT, the M60A3 with its improved sights, sensors and computer was a Generation 2+ MBT.

Discuss.

Cheers,
Rich

Just to play the Devil's Advocate :evil: , the T-10 was classed as a "Heavy Tank" not as a "Main Battle Tank". While it had the armour and firepower, it lacked the mobility of the Main Battle Tank concept. Soviet doctrine at the time used the Heavy Tank units in support of Mechanized Infantry assaults, destroying "soft" targets (buildings, bunkers, weapons pits, etc) and taking on opposing armour only when necessary. The Heavy Tank became obsolete with the introduction of the T-54 series, considered by many to be the first Soviet MBT.

The M60 when introduced was a Generation 2 MBT, the M60A3 with its improved sights, sensors and computer was a Generation 2+ MBT.

Discuss.

Cheers,
Rich

That is why I asked the question. It is in sort of a grey area in the campaign rules. The others that fall in this grey zone are the British Conquerer and the American M-103. Developed after WW II, but following the heavy tank line of thought from WW II.

Terry

It was fine by me . I'm not gonna Mince it up over the lack of mobility. It's a fine line between mbt and heavy. That's like if someone wanted to do a m60 starlight variant you could classify that as a heavy with everything that was added it was still a mbt but served the rope of a heavy. That was a short lived project though.

It was fine by me . I'm not gonna Mince it up over the lack of mobility. It's a fine line between mbt and heavy. That's like if someone wanted to do a m60 starlight variant you could classify that as a heavy with everything that was added it was still a mbt but served the rope of a heavy. That was a short lived project though.

Well we're not going to get into a fuss over it, but it would be best to come to some kind of agreement for anyone else that might want to do one of these three. I think it is safe to say that these three tanks meet most if not all the criteria set forth in the rules except in name only.

They didn't serve in WW II
They are post Korean war
They are fully tracked
They are not lite or recon tanks
They are not tank destroyer, SPG's, or anti-aircraft tanks
They certainly don't fly

So do we allow or just say no and avoid trouble?

:)

Since you asked, General, I'd say the M60 is more in-keeping with your original idea as I understand it. And let's be honest, it will look superb in any of the MERDC schemes !!

Ian.

Since you asked, General, I'd say the M60 is more in-keeping with your original idea as I understand it. And let's be honest, it will look superb in any of the MERDC schemes !!

Ian.

That's assuming I can do a MERDC pattern.

:laugh:

OK, point taken, but if I'm going to try to do that 1:72 Ju88 cockpit, then you gotta promise to try to do the MERDC camo on the M60 (lead from the front, remember, General)...

...deal ??

Ian.

Back