• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Maddog Manufacturing 2020 Production

Continuing with the Shelf Queen theme, I pulled out another one of them to work on. This is the very old Sheridan tank I started in the far distant past. I had lost the driver's periscope piece and so this had been sitting on my shelf for years; maybe a decade by now. I then noticed I had a second unopened Sheridan in the pile so I opened it up and continued on with this, first adding that missing piece:

full

Later I added the turret to this and any other additional parts it needed. This is now pretty much ready for paint:

full

Next up were a couple 'quick builds' from S-Model, starting with the M-5 Stuart. There are two kits of this tank in the box so one will be a US Army one and the other will be a French tank. Basic assembly was quite fast:

full

Then I added all the extra bits and bobs to bring this up to the paint stage:

full

Now I just have to do the second one. Should be fairly fast.

Another S-Model 'quick build' vehicle I started was this turreted M-113. Basic assembly once again was quite fast:

full

That is a resin hatch included in this kit that this version uses. The turret was also a resin set that I had to build:

full

A few more detail parts and this will be ready for paint as well:

full

Moving on, I started the two Chieftain tanks in the Mk.10/Mk.11 box. I only assembled the lower hull tubs. I also cemented all the pairs of wheels and sprockets together so I can install them all at once, but I didn't shoot pics of them:

full

Since I'd started the Chieftain Mk. 10 and Mk.11; it was only right that I do the Chieftain Mk. 5 too. So, I assembled the lower hull tub and all the wheels for this:

full

Looks the same. That's because it is.

So, to try and keep better track of which goes to what, I added the upper hull to the Chieftain Mk.5:

full

Yes, I removed that sprue inside because I assembled the basic turret with the gun and dry-fit that onto this tank:

full

Wow, these look so much better than the ancient Airfix 1/76 scale kit!

Now, the Chieftain Mk.5 also came with the FV-432 APC, so I had to start that as well. Again, lower hull tub first:

full

I later added the three upper hull parts to this:

full

Yeah, these are looking great!

Finally, at least in my armor; I brought my D-9 Dozer forward a bit more. First I assembled the rear assembly and installed it on the main body of this:

full

You can see the assembled dozer blade in front of this too. Next, I added the mounting arms and linkages for the blade and got it installed. I also started the interior with the driver and co-driver seat as well as some other detail parts:

full

Here's a better shot of the rear assembly on this:

full

Looks like a trench digger. I don't know though.

And finally, getting back to Shelf Queens, I decided it was time to finish this one. For those who forgot that I also build ships, here is the 1/700 scale JMSDF Izumo carrier that I started some many many months ago. What stopped me for all this time was that I was at the P/E stage and didn't want to deal with it. Well, I took this to our mini-Hobby Day and buckled down to get this done.

First I did the main mast and added the P/E rails to the island:

full

That's gonna take some doing painting that mast. I also figure I'll have to semi-drybrush the rails to bring them closer to the grey of the rest of the ship.

I then got started on the surrounding rail of the sponsons and deck edge. I only got one side mostly done before it was time to pack up and leave:

full

Yeah, they are a bit hard to see in that pic. Trust me, they are there. You'll also notice that I have blue tape underneath the P/E sprue. That is because the attachment points for these parts are so delicate that some of them are falling off the sprue before I can get to them. So, I added the tape to one side and taped them back in place until I need them.

I do hope to do more on this ship soon. I want it done. Until then, take care and thanks for looking in. Comments are always welcome.

And finally, getting back to Shelf Queens, I decided it was time to finish this one. For those who forgot that I also build ships, here is the 1/700 scale JMSDF Izumo carrier that I started some many many months ago. What stopped me for all this time was that I was at the P/E stage and didn't want to deal with it. Well, I took this to our mini-Hobby Day and buckled down to get this done.

First I did the main mast and added the P/E rails to the island:

full

That's gonna take some doing painting that mast. I also figure I'll have to semi-drybrush the rails to bring them closer to the grey of the rest of the ship.

I then got started on the surrounding rail of the sponsons and deck edge. I only got one side mostly done before it was time to pack up and leave:

full

Yeah, they are a bit hard to see in that pic. Trust me, they are there. You'll also notice that I have blue tape underneath the P/E sprue. That is because the attachment points for these parts are so delicate that some of them are falling off the sprue before I can get to them. So, I added the tape to one side and taped them back in place until I need them.

I do hope to do more on this ship soon. I want it done. Until then, take care and thanks for looking in. Comments are always welcome.
Nice looking armour.

The ship is coming along nicely. The deck markings are really spot on. I struggle with PE railings, but they sure do look nice. What kind of glue do you use for the PE and PE railings?

EJ

Thanks Frank! I agree, I hate Shelf Queens!

Thanks EJ! Those deck markings went on exceptionally well. For the P/E parts, I use the Gator Grip Glue put out by Kenny Loup. It holds so well, and allows me plenty of working time to get things placed properly.

Well, despite numerous demands on my time, I still managed to get the following work done. Most of this happened at our recent limited Hobby Day; thank God we got to do that again! I had loads of time to move forward on a lot of my models. So, climb aboard the tram and lets get started! Remember to keep all hands and feet inside the tram at all times. Thank you. On with the tour....

Let's start with the aircraft line....

I pulled the A-400 down since I was tired of it sitting for so long. I added the landing gear inside the main landing gear sponsons and forward landing gear bay:

full

Later I added the wheels to the landing gear and the lower covers to the sponsons. I only glued the outer edges first to make them secure, hence the gaps you see on the inside. I'll come back and close those up later:

full

While that was drying, I also got more done on the An-124. The instructions don't tell you to, but I needed to cut out these shoulder sections to fit the indented covers that go there:

full

Later I got the plastic parts glued into place:

full

With that finally done, I was finally able to get this horse primed! Here it is after about four coats of primer and one of a gloss coat that ended up semi-gloss again:

full

There's a few minor issues still to correct, but this is moving forward better than I hoped. I do hope that the momentum continues....

Now lets look at the armor line...

Most of this is models I advanced closer to the painting stage, but there are a few models I started too. I'll start with those first.

This first one is a German staff car I got from a friend. I'd gotten this far before I realized I hadn't shot pics of it yet! This is a car I'd built before so this one is being built with the top down:

full

You can see where I added strip styrene on each side of the hood cover; the fit was just a bit too loose...

The next one I did was an S-Models M-5 Stuart. I don't have any of these in the collection so it was time to get it built. This kit has two models in it, so one will be US Army the other will be a French tank. This one is currently ready for paint:

full

Another one I started was the Japanese fuel truck. I just felt like I wanted to do something simple and nostalgic. First was the chassis and interior:

full

I then built the cab:

full

Then the tank behind it:

full

Here it is all together so far. I just have to paint the interior before I glue everything together. Then I can glue it together, add the detail parts and get it painted:

full

That's what I got started in armor so far while building those aircraft. The armor models I progressed on are in the following post...

Continued below.

Now for the models I advanced further along.

First are the three Chieftains I had started. This is the Mk.5 sporting his new wheels:

full

The drive sprocket and idler wheels will be used to form the track in the jig. I'm looking forward to trying that out.

Next I assembled the basic turret and added the wheels to the Mk.10:

full

Followed by the same assemblies on the Mk.11:

full

Here's all three side by side:

full

Next I added the wheels to the FV-432 since I had them on the Chieftains:

full

Moving on, I realized that the turret on my M-51 was extremely loose. I didn't know whether I was supposed to file down the turret plug to the hole in the hull; or add a plug the same size as the hole. I opted for the easier solution:

full

Now this sits perfectly on the hull without moving:

full

I don't know if the turret sits too high or not, but it is staying like it is. Trying to remove all that resin from the sides of the plug is just a bit beyond my capabilities right now.

Next I finished off the cab for the D-9 Dozer, starting with the basic assembly:

full

After adding some of the interior parts to this, I dry-fit that to the main hull:

full

The top is just placed there for show; I left it off to better paint some of the interior details. Then I can get the exterior painted.

Earlier I'd found the second kit of the M-109A6 from Riich Models that I'd bought by mistake. It was a fortuitous mistake as I was able to finally assemble the main gun mantlet with the replacement part from the second kit:

full

Now, I studied the instructions and realized with a little extra plastic, I could make this gun elevate. So, I added some strip styrene to either side of the inside of the turret front, leaving a gap for the sides of the gun mantlet to slide into:

full

I then added a small stop to the bottom of the mantlet so it wouldn't slide out:

full

After a bit of trimming, it fit right in:

full

Here it is, up and down:

full

full

Later I assembled the rest of the turret. In this pic, I had started to glue the front and gradually I glued down the rest to insure the fit was right and complete:

full

I then added that big honkin' gun and checked it out. Down...:

full

...then up:

full

Now to do all the detail parts and possibly the tracks and then I can paint this beastie.

Well that completes this tour of the latest progress at Maddog Manufacturing. Thanks all for looking in, comments are always welcome.

Can not wait to see the AN-124 and A400 hanging from the ceiling.
You may need two joist for the AN. LOLOLO

Frank, I appreciate the comments! I apologize for taking so long to reply; I couldn't log in while in Florida. Yeah, I am already checking for joists to see where the best place to hang these will be.

Now that 2020 is over, I'll be ending my posts here and starting a new Maddog Manufacturing Thread to show all I'll be working on during 2021. Watch for it, I hope to get it up in the next few days.

Thanks to all who checked in over the past year and for the wonderful motivating comments you all left. It was those comments and compliments that assisted me in getting everything finished last year that I did finish.

I love watching you build. The variety and number of kits is amazing.
I'll be watching for 2021.
See you on the other side.

EJ

Back