• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M706 MP

jknaus

Administrator
Okay while I await a replacement sprue for my StuH 42 I am doing a quick OOB build of the M706 armoured car from an MP det in Vietnam. I know the insides arew the wrong colour but it will all be closed and just in case you can see through the vision blocks I wanted it to be lighter. One big issue with this kit is that there is a rectangular opening on the bow for the winch but no winch. Suggestions are to build a winch or block it off. So I fiddled with Tinkercad and made a rudimentary (very very rudimentary) winch box. It looked okay and did what it was supposed to but I didnt account for the angle of the bow plate and so the box interfered with the hatch. So I went and deepened the box a bit and then made a 45 degree opening.. So here are pics of the old and new. I just need to wind some wire on the spindle. It would have looked even better in resin, nut I have some 30 hour prints going on and no room for it. So I did it in plastic on my FDM printer. That took 6 minutes for 2 of them. It will do as this is just a quicky to get my modeling mojo back on line. I used Tamiya primer to check how it looks and so it pooled a bit. Sandpaper will fix that.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

I'll try to attach the file if any one wants it. Hmmm I think it worked but I had to compress it to a zip file. No its not detailed. No its not proffesional. It fills a blank though so enjoy if you want.
James

Attachments

• M706winch.zip
    68.4 KB · Views: 17
You REALLY should ask for some TMI! You don't need to use it but the winch opening should be blocked by the visible horizontal rollers.
1679073268964.png

Actual opening once bumpers, which hold the horizontal rollers, are removed during this restoration.
1679073064176.png

While removing the bumpers with aforementioned horizontal rollers:
1679073142998.png

Thanks Saul. Thats why I'm not too concerned about how basic it is. I still have to install the roller guides. I just wanted something behind. I searched the internet for the winch info and only found 2 pictures. I think I may have to make my own rollers though and hat close up will help quite a bit. As for Charlie Dont Surf?? I didnt even think about it.

James

Okay I got some work done today and am quite happy so far. Still need more filling and sanding to make the rear look like a one piece assembly. Got most joins filled and sanded and need to eliminate some more weld marks. I guess with all the sanding it built a bit of a charge and sucked up some of the cat hair my cats bequeath me. comments and critiques welcome.
20230318_165515.jpg
20230318_165535.jpg
20230318_165543.jpg
20230318_165558.jpg

20230318_170249.jpg

James

I managed to get in a bit of modeling yesterday after coming home from some med appointments and then this morning before we go for more appointments. The model is almost done abd there is not much left to add before masking the vision blocks and priming and painting. I have found the tires are garbage though with imperfections and canyons all around. So I will have to order some new wheels. Not sure how long that will take. Hopefully pictures later today.
James

Back