• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M5 Recon Shelf Queen

G Cooper

This little jewel is the shelf buddy of the KV-1 and StuG III F8. It also has been sitting patiently in a little plastic box waiting it's turn. And like the KV-1 when there was an airbrush full of Spitfire green, I gave her the last little bits as a fairly decent base coat to go to a faded olive drab U.S. Army paint job.

It is the old Tamiya M5 with the Verlinden conversion set with a full fighting compartment interior. It's really a nice set that makes a cool little vehicle.

I think there must be a bug or something on that hatch the way that guy is staring at it
002_20100212_1742851590.jpg
:laugh:

Maybe it's Lauras infamous lady beetle ;)
008_20100212_1934350712.jpg

It must have flown away :blink
010_20100212_1074582526.jpg

This will be in the same category as the KV-1 and the StuG. That is still a semi shelf queen that gets to come down and get some desk time inbetween other more pressing projects.

Gary B)

Nice Gary
You don't often get to see this version built.
The headlight guards look the business; how comprehensive is the interior kit?
Do your 'shelfies' accumulate any dust that would need removal before further works take place?
Brad

Hi Brad.

The interior is pretty good.It has a drivers area with seats, transmission,and the hanging brake levers. And the rear area has plenty of storage and a full set of radios. The "brass" photo etch should really be replaced though as it is the old style Verlinden ultra heavy copper that almost needs a hammer to get it to bend :huh: . And as far as the dust, that can get to be pretty heavy here where I live. But I try to keep most of my shelf queens either in a box out in my garage, or in little plastic snap cases. Unfortunately, the only source I have found for them is from my local grocery store that sells cookies by the dozen or two dozen in the things.

This is the dozen package.These are just perfect size for most 1/35th scale kits. Except for Tigers or larger vehicles.
004_20100219_1767359645.jpg

001_20100219_2096245916.jpg

And this is the two dozen package. A nice size for most any two kits, except again for your standard Tigers or larger vehicles.
003_20100219_1323834465.jpg

002_20100219_1490934041.jpg

But I only discovered these little cases a few months ago, so I need to stock up on them. Somehow :unsure: .

Gary B)

Gary,
Great looking recon vehicle. Sound like the interior is pretty sweet.
I try to not keep a model waiting too long. I do have an old Tamiya
Tiger I that I was scratch building an interior for (many years ago)
when it first came out... But lots of sea time got in the way, and
by the time I was home again ready to work on it, everyone had after
market stuff and other kits that were way more accurate. So it will
stay there until I decide to destroy it or pass it along to someone
that needs the parts to fix one that they have... (I think I have
a candidate for it right now). One of the guys that just returned.

If you have a dollar store around, I use the shoe boxes and other
plastic boxes that they have.
quick_bases_in_boxes_20100210_1137601873.jpg

These happen to have my quick bases in them, but I have some with
tanks and things stored in them too...

The smaller plastic parts bins are from Walmart and K-mart.

Shawn

Back