• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M4A3(76)

Hi Bob

I'm keen to have a go, at the moment I have a M4A3E2 built and base coated in olive drab then hit the wall at fading and
a priest still waiting to be built. The only problem is I have to wait to order some paints but that all good.

One question is pure gum terpentine and rectified turpentine the same thing.

Thanks for taking the time to do this sort of thing.

No problem, I intend to go slow, so you can catch up. There is no time limit on this build.

No, they are definitely NOT the same thing. Gum turpentine will ruin your model forever! You can only buy rectified turpentine in an art store!

Welcome to the build!

Bob

Not much more to do before class starts.

DSC02658.JPG

DSC02657.JPG

DSC02656.JPG

DSC02659.JPG

The instructions for the Archer set arent made for this tank it seems. But I put on what I could.Just one number missing from the sheet, but I'm not too worried. Getting more and more hyped for this.
James

Okay soI wokeup early today so I could give this a try before work. I did the turret and hull. Running gear in a bit after I finish painting road wheels. Its a whole lot easier when Bob does it :laugh:
The pics are showing things my eyes cant (or wont?) see.

DSC02670.JPG

DSC02669.JPG

DSC02672.JPG

DSC02671.JPG

Probably would have been easier if my hand didnt go numb 5 minutes into the exercise.
Comments welcome.
James

I'm staring at the model and I cant see those horrid looking slurries around the edges like I see in the pics. Weird.
James

James, Outstanding!

Do nothing. Wait for a couple of days. From the pic with better lighting, I can tell you got it right!

Those slurries you are talking about will fade, blend and soften when it is dry. Trust me!

Finish up your running gear and relax.

Nothing seems easy the first time you do it. After a few times more, it will become second nature.

You get an "A" for this first step!!! (y) (y) :notworthy :notworthy

Bob

Well got the undercarriage done. Not thrilled. Might have another go later.

DSC00199.JPG

And this camera pics up more stuff than my other one. Almost makes me not want to take pics :blush:

Paints still havent arrived to start part 3 so started another kit. It will be German Grey and I'll try the same tricks on it and see if I can improve any.
James

Well got the undercarriage done. Not thrilled. Might have another go later.

DSC00199.JPG

And this camera pics up more stuff than my other one. Almost makes me not want to take pics :blush:

Paints still havent arrived to start part 3 so started another kit. It will be German Grey and I'll try the same tricks on it and see if I can improve any.
James

James, stop with the negative waves. (Kelly's Heroes, 1969 :yipee ), It looks good. If it didn't, I would send you a PM and tell you!

You are doing great! Just hang in there. This is going to be the best model you ever built. Trust me! What is not to be thrilled about with the undercarriage? Tell me what is wrong with it? I don't see anything wrong?

Any problems today will disappear when you get the paints and begin again. This process is THE most forgiving there is. You'll see. Each step fixes any mistakes in the previous step.

I'm watching your back buddy!

Bob

The slurries even though not so evident in real life bug me, I have some touch ups on the rubber I missed. I must have gotten sloppy and got some wash on the rubber too. I've been told I'm myown worst critic and enemy on more than one occasion. Maybe its just from all those years working on aircraft, I dont know :hmmm :)
James

The slurries even though not so evident in real life bug me, I have some touch ups on the rubber I missed. I must have gotten sloppy and got some wash on the rubber too. I've been told I'm myown worst critic and enemy on more than one occasion. Maybe its just from all those years working on aircraft, I dont know :hmmm :)
James

If the slurries are visible enough to bug you, you can fix them when you dry brush. Just dry brush them away and they will no longer be visible. Mix the paint with the base color and just a touch of the khaki drill. You can watch them disappear.

It's good to be your own worst critic, up to a point. There is a fine edge between being your own worst critic and developing AMS, advanced modeler's syndrome. I have never built a model that was flawless in my life and, guess what, I don't know of anyone else who has either and I know many of the best out there.

When I owned the Miniature World Museum, we had models from all the world's greats at the time. I did all the maintenance on them, particularly the shadowboxes and dioramas, and I can tell you for certain, there were lots of flaws. Humans are imperfect. We can only strive to do our best, but no matter how hard we try, nothing we make is ever perfect.

I am fortunate. Besides being well aware of every little flaw in my work, my wife Susan has been around models and modelers all her life. She is my very worst critic. When I have a flaw and can't decide if anyone will notice, I always show it to her. If it is at all visible, she'll find it every time. The good news is that flaws can always be fixed. Always! If worse comes to worse, you can always take a bottle of brake fluid and immerse the model in it overnight and the next day, you can strip it clean of all paint and weathering. I haven't had to do that since the 70s, but, all painting and weathering flaws can be fixed!

BTW, James, I always wash the rubber on the tank wheels. You have to wash everything. Raw umber is the color of dirt. Anything manmade that is out in the elements long enough, pick up this color. It is the color of nature. When I wash my gigantic dioramas, everything gets washed except things that are alive. That is what blends a diorama together. Have you ever seen a diorama where everything looks like it has nothing in appearance in common with any other object in the diorama? Left out in nature, buildings, sidewalks, streets, utility poles, signs, everything acquires the same tone.

Bob

Keep plugging away, James! I think you are being overly critical of your work, looking good thus far! (y)

James, I just want to demonstrate with two images, both posted here, that the slurries are no big deal and I'll show you how to make them disappear when you start to dry brush.

First, here is a slurrie of my own. See it between the inside left fender and the crane brace. That's a serious slurrie James! :laugh:

lite04.jpg

Then, after dry brushing.

13TruckDB72.jpg

Presto, vanished! Can you see any trace of it?

Bob

Back