• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M3A1 Stuart then and now...

Zlikovac

First, i wannna wish Happy New Year to all forum members :drinks
Second, i apologise for long delay, long to see you guys.
OK, its my new project.

Basic idea is show some real tanks, who served honest from the point of view of this owner country, and then is just ordinary rusty wreck, without any care. This not be only one model in this "self build".
In my town, out side of museum, exist one M3A1. Couple years before his look like this:
78939150.jpg

blt3.jpg

All picture in present day is property of Mario Raguz, and i must say one big "Thank you Mario for this picture!"
I was realy hooked for this picture, graffiti, rust, election poster, all maddens of this days! But i don't find this election poster and this side of Struart is same like target side! I was mad about it...
Another chance is on second set, Marios too, from Sarajevo museum. Again rusty plus very good autumnal ambient plus same modification on mantlet like on target. Yeahhh!

64881301.jpg

23701152.jpg

86985210.jpg

For addition, i give from Mario another pictures.
Again same mod, but not attractive ambient, OK, good picture, good detail.

jahorina571.jpg

jahorina579.jpg

jahorina586.jpg

jahorina578.jpg

This is target:

77d77607b03efecdlarge.jpg

Its Yugoslav partisans Struart in Trieste, Italy, 1945.

Please, no political comment, I'm not communist, it just something from the past. But this is part of history, too.

Basic idea is:
Right half of tank is partisan in Trieste
Left half is present day wreck.
When i say half, this is real half, interior and exterior ;)

Ohh, i forgot, this is very nice Academy kit.
OK, what you think fella? Does exist cure for this madness? ;D
Any, any comment from Stuart expert is welcome!

:drinks

Well, in fact, in military barracks in my town lay about 50 tanks. Many of this tanks is pure rusty diamond, but from some reason i was impressed by Struart. I love this track, rubber is almost completely is gone.
Why partisan tank? This "Struart" part of history is missing for me, but i blame S. Zaloga, and book about Struart. Just in the moment everyone will make some partisan modification, every one talk about this... Its US hybrid from UK service, still in olive green, but over painted with so many communist paroles, Slovenian flag and mark, but original serial number and old parole is still visible. How i can miss this?
For rusty side i see Brazilian struarts, totally rusty, totally, but wit this tank i don't have connection, i don't know story. Totally half-half project will be interested for me, and you guys, i hope.
BTW, i prepare for this one year, picture, book, Eduards, similar...

What a nice kit, fitting is perfect.

struart01.jpg

struart02.jpg

Texturising of road wheel.
Two way, one for museum, one in operational vehicle.
Lowest is oprational, middle is museum, top one is for testing.
struart03.jpg

All wheels give 2 layer of surfacer
struart05.jpg

struart04.jpg

Museum give one bonus layer, crackle paint to simulate destroyed rubber.
struart06.jpg

struart07.jpg

:drinks

Wow cool project. (y) (y) (y) Very interesting pics of the real thing, and your detailing is excellent. Eagerly awaiting more.
James

Neat idea!! I look forward to watching this progress.

Terry B)

Way cool idea. :popcorn

Someone had suggested a War Memorial Campaign once, taking pictures of these old static displays and building them up as is. You may inspire us to look at that build again. :mpup

Ok, lets start again...

Sorry for poor picture is just to give a sign of life :)

89a9.jpg

g6zg.jpg

c39k.jpg

tdbx.jpg

Some explanation, from left to right:

One headlight is drilled, painted in metalic, over this scrached foil, and stiren frame.
Second is raw version of vacuum form, in this moment painted in metalic base.

As you know, original seat from box is for M3 and M5 version, not for M3A1.
I made frame from beer, hehehhe, and wire, belts and little cosmetic for seat.

One seat is regular, just added belt, one is hackneyed.

For radio i made phone and microphone.

Best regards and i wish you nice holydays!

They had seatbelts??

Nice treatment you're giving all this, thanks for coming back around and giving an update. (y)

Shalom.

I assume that this is not a repop of the original M3 Tamiya kit?

This is a very interesting idea and build and it's nice to see others who shelve things for a awhile.

By the way, the British called the Sturat Honey because at speed they could turn it without throwing a track.

Cheers from Peter

I NEED YOUR HELP GUYS!
First you can not be nice to obviously registration number , I have some other observations , and tell me if I'm wrong
1 The dimensions and shape of the pure typical American star painted in red .
2 This I barely noticed , the American star on top of the dome , apparently painted in red
3 Practically arms of Slovenia , Triglav . What is strange and difficult it is evident when compared with the markings on the jeep , where you can see white Triglav above which is a red star, it is the white bar above which I think is part of the Slovenian flag colors , but it seems that in things just fine painted a sign?
4 This seems to see the numbering from the beginning of the war , the color is very similar to turquoise . Now, the six-digit discern 3XX999 . Standard label was U.S.A. W 3XXXXX . The first part of the sight of the old name , but not the new ?
5 Here are glimpses of the old inscriptions W
6 We can see practically the same registration number , only in the later scheme with white lettering . E here I'm not sure , but it seems to me that in this numbering does not have that W , and that is the one part, the white rectangle in the upper right corner, which I thought was part of the Slovenian flag actually covered the label USA

y8cs.jpg

6oxr.jpg

c957.jpg

Thanx you for help!

I'll help what i can, the early color of the registration numbers were Duck Egg Blue FS35622 and Testors has it.

Wish I could be more help, very interesting project but I think I learned my lesson on modeling subjects based on photos, very hard to get exactly right.

:popcorn

Thank you so much for response! :yipee

Just one more dilema.
I was try to find original tank picture.
My suspect was 1st amoured division in Tunis (Foxhunter, Romell hunter?)
And if you look on white square from #3, looks like:
1st armoured division, 13th armoured regiment, 1st BN, H.Q. Co
What you think about my logic?

00o2.jpg

Little progres:
Works on rusty half, i use low contrast color, just for base od hair spray tech.

4xlo.jpg

p9bb.jpg

mypx.jpg

oaze.jpg

And some resting paint, in this moment:

lg96.jpg

4qig.jpg

bq0x.jpg

4w79.jpg

f2n7.jpg

alkf.jpg

hn31.jpg

xlm8.jpg

Fine work so far

Missed this when you posted originally.

Thank you so much for response! :yipee

Just one more dilema.
I was try to find original tank picture.
My suspect was 1st amoured division in Tunis (Foxhunter, Romell hunter?)
And if you look on white square from #3, looks like:
1st armoured division, 13th armoured regiment, 1st BN, H.Q. Co
What you think about my logic?

00o2.jpg

I can clearly see this white Triglav insignia but the rest, just not clear where that is or even where it should be. :idonno

Back