• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M35 Gun Truck

Sherman 18

Master at Arms
My on and off project for years. I'm now going to knock it out :facepalm

AFV Club M35A2 kit. I'm back dating to an A1. I figure just scratch some armor and there you have it a Vietnam Gun Truck. Most gun trucks used were M54 5 tons as they could do the job better, but there was a number of M35s too. It's fun subject to research as none of these trucks were the same. Mine is based off my own thoughts, no real truck here.

M35GunTruck.jpg

Pile of parts.
M35GunTruck5.jpg

I thought a double side wall would the way to go. In my latest research most gun trucks were not. :idonno I did make a small box taking up half the bed out of sheet styrene. If I remember right the plan was for a center mount mini gun.
M35GunTruck6.jpg

M35GunTruck7.jpg

M35GunTruck8.jpg

test fit/mock up, I thought I had made the armor to short. I made a riser box for the whole bed. It was at this point the my work was going to a master for AEF Designs. I thought that would simplify the kit in resin. Glad it never panned out as I was off in the height.
010~6.jpg

012~4.jpg

014~4.jpg

basic truck assembly, I did some filling of the punch out marks.
019~4.jpg

020~4.jpg

018~7.jpg

1000.jpg

1006.jpg

I broke one of the molded on handles for tailgate, so I made some from brass strip.
1001.jpg

The kit seats are correct for an earlier version of a M35. I sanded down the edges cushions.
1003~0.jpg

Added some ammo boxes to the floor under of the passenger seat.
1004~0.jpg

1005.jpg

The doors I carved out the molded on handles
1007.jpg

1008.jpg

I added a weld to the center of the bed with styrene strip. I only added up to the point where the armor box would be.
1009.jpg

Then I added chains and tailgate latches
1010~0.jpg

1011~0.jpg

1012~0.jpg

I changed the front armor on the box to make an opening to the cab.
2000~1.jpg

I made a wood floor out of styrene strip. Drilled holes and carved some them up to look they had been taken from a scrap pile or striped out of building.
2001~0.jpg

2003~0.jpg

Also made strips for a wood filler between the outside inside armor.
2004~0.jpg

Chassis and suspension

More filling with 3M putty
3000.jpg

3001.jpg

Added brake lines to the axles with brass wire
3002.jpg

While I was at it with brake lines, I added them and wiring to the frame
3003.jpg

3004.jpg

3005.jpg

3008.jpg

3009.jpg

Wired the tail lights. The lights are from a Tamiya M113 kit. Then I stuck on a couple Granite Line bolts.
3011.jpg

Put some wiring for the fuel tank, since I was at it.
3013.jpg

Chassis done waiting primer
3014.jpg

Wow there is little that I can add to this beyond the usual Wow’s and Neat/Incredible work. Maybe I will just quote MP/Bob with “Looks swell.”

Little side note. I used to commute with a guy that in ‘V-Nam. He was assigned to a firebase and did two tours there, really had some unique experiences to talk about. One he told was related to a gun-truck, first one he ever saw. So per him, there was a “sniper” that would fire a few shots at the camp every day. Never actually hit anyone. My bud’s theory was that the guy was actually a very good shot, but smart enough to understand that hitting someone would bring down the wrath that would destroy him, so harassment was the order of the day. This was disputed much but one day, a truck along with a gun-truck pulled up the main gate. Upon stopping the shots rang out! The driver’s tire of the other truck was hit and wheezed loudly as it deflated. The Gun truck immediately lit up the tree line and after some hammering, silence. Posting people at the wire and near the truck, the crew went about changing that tire in the heat, with the usual cursing. Finally getting it done the driver started the turn the engine over and one shot only BANG! Went off…..and the REPLACED TIRE wheezed it’s air back out again!

Waiting to see how this 'un turns out!

Oh Hey check MEC MODELS

http://www.mecmodels.com/wordpress/?product_cat=decals-1-35

They have some interesting decals that would work here, when I FINALLY get around to my M113 ACAV I am sure i will get one of these to go with it, just not sure wheich (won't be the one with the boobs though)

Great to see you back amongst us, Jeff. Looks like your settling-in for BIG project with this one.

Ian.

Back