• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M109A6 Paladin Diorama HELP ME!!!

Skinny_Mike

Hi All!

I need a little bit of help with my planned diorama for my M109A6 Paladin. Diorama is probably a strong word since I am really not planning on having any figures. But I was thinking of having the Paladin parked in a revetment of sorts, like this photo. This isn’t mine I found it on the Internet and unfortunately can’t remember where.

h47dbd26.jpg

Here is a mock up of my layout.

h43fe237.jpg

h23c5e48.jpg

I am using the Legand stowage set, because I have it and want to use it. The border of the dio is depicted by the black line. I did run out of the bastion cages and need to get some more, but they will run basically to the edge. I really have a hard time with the layout of these things and appreciate any and all advice I can get. Here are my questions:

1. Is this or was this even a typical set up for M109s in Iraq? I’ve found a lot of photos of them sitting basically on open ground firing. Would that be better?
2. Am I covering up too much of the tank?
3. Should I square the revetment to the base? I know when everything is not lined up its more visually interesting, but in this case is aligned better? (There are always exceptions to the rule!)
4. Any thoughts on filling in the empty space? Its going to really end up looking like a tan blob. Need to introduce some intrest…

I’m sure there are plenty of other things I didn’t even think of that some one will bring up.

So there you go, I am open to all suggestions!

Thanks for the help
Mike

Having the model skued on the base is the right thing to do, but you might consider facing the gun in the opposite direction. Like.....

hfbc4e7f.jpg

or...

hf4d28f2.jpg

If you do that I think you will be able to see more of the model.

You might also consider ,even with no figures present, putting crew gear or supplies inside the rivetment to give the area a lived in look.

h362f508.jpg

I think you're on the right track though.

Terry B)

I like MrT's advise.

My suggestion would be to drop the three bastion cages on the short side. Add empty powder tubes, MRE boxes and other things that would be dis-guarded.

Back