• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Luftwaffe RG 51 RF-4E Phantom II (1/72 Fujimi)

Good to know Chris. I know what you mean about all the crowds for Memorial Day. I tend to ride my bike down to the local cemetery for the Memorial Day Mass there and then ride back while all the people in their cars sit and wait for traffic to clear! LOL! Get to it when you can. I hope to move forward on some of mine too.

Got the grey down. Need to touch up a couple areas tonight, then hopefully get it in clear tomorrow which should make for safer handling of the thin paint.

Fun! Make the switch to Tamiya paints and you won't have to worry about handling issues again. Thin the with Tamiya lacquer thinner, goes on smoooooooth. :good:

Yes indeed... that's exactly how I remember them. The ones that would 'drop in' to us were almost always immaculately maintained - my guess is that the Luftwaffe over-engineered their paint in the same way that they over-engineer their cars !

Looking very good indeed, sir !

Ian.

2-3 years?!! Sounds like some of my multi-engined large aircraft builds, and they don't look anything near as good as this....

Fun! Make the switch to Tamiya paints and you won't have to worry about handling issues again. Thin the with Tamiya lacquer thinner, goes on smoooooooth. :good:

Found and ordered some Tamiya Lacquer Thinner on eBay this weekend. If you're running low I'd recommend grabbing an extra bottle now while you can. It sounds like (at least in the US) that distributor supply is very low or out of stock until August. Even the Tamiya USA webstore is out of stock.

Does the lacquer thinner aid in brush application as well? That is the one area I've found thus far that the Tamiya paint struggles to match the MM (aside from the obvious limited color availability). I'm not ready to make a full stop switch right now, as I still have a huge stock of MM paints, but am not opposed to a rolling change if it ends up being a worthwhile upgrade. The paint mixing app I have for the phone plus finding inexpensive dropper bottles makes having to go with mixing paint more often not out of the question. Limited color options means lower stocking costs...which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just more time mixing paint.

Didn't get much done on it this weekend, but I did get the couple areas touched up and coated in gloss. Currently sitting awaiting decals. Modeling time this weekend was spent working on the half-track.

Kit decals were crap. Ended up removing them. Fortunately I was able to find a set of Microscale decals (for RG 51 even :woohoo: ) on eBay...and are currently at the post office awaiting pickup (unless post delivers them today like they should've done yesterday). Hoping to tie up loose ends on this one by end of next weekend so I can focus on getting the Opel wrapped up.

Little more progress. Ended up finding a set of Microscale decals on evilbay. So off w/ the crappy kit decals. Painted the red line, instead of trying to align a decal. Got the insignia & squadron decals put on.

About then I found the missing rear panels and clued in on what didn't look right about the nose.....scoops! I missed the bloody scoops! So had the fun of fitting those after it had been painted.

Fortunately since I mixed the paint by weight the first time around, I was able to get really close on the paint mix on the second time. :zen

Looking good (y) .

Wishing I had been able to get pictures of the Luftwaffe F-4's flying in and out of the USAFE bases . Sometimes they were an interesting patchwork of colors .

Cheers, Christian B)

Neato-Mosquito! it is turning into a handsome little kit, but then, the Phantom was always a neat plane!

Back