• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

LRDG truck

paddy

Tamiya's LRDG truck seems to be based on a Canadian Chevy truck ? Strange request but has anyone got a picture of one of these Chevy trucks military or civil with the front wheel off. Looking for pics of suspension, shock drum etc ?

Yea thanks, i did google it but hoped someone your side of the pond might have more luck or know of a variation of that Cab that has the same chassis layout.

Of course if there are no pictures i can make it up and no one will know.............maybe i should have kept that to myself..:)

Ok here is the closist thing I could find, not great but better then nothing.

Reference truck
1597502340863.png

I these next two the photos are focused on the engine mounts but you catch some of the front axle working
1597502420139.png

1597502437897.png

I'm still looking and will post more if I find anything. Nice find Pup!
:victory:

That's cool. I was always wondering if there were any pics of this same truck in any livery OTHER THAN LRDG. Even civilian. I've been wanting to build another one but they only seem to be kitted in LRDG configuration.

so when you guys do vehicles, what sort of order do you do things
Looking at this i think if i paint the parts before assembly its going to be hard to then spray the body work so do you just assemble the lot then paint parts in situ or try and get the shell as complete as possible and spray that separate.
I am thinking for example if i assemble the chassis then its not possible to then spray round the prop shaft to do the underside..
Sorry a bit of a basic question :)

Every kit is a challenge in this way Paddy. I usually do sub-assemblies. Wheels and tires (tyres to you) are separate. So break it down to Engine, Frame, Body (maybe parts like interior and exterior), Bed, and Wheels. Think ahead about what you will need to do to paint the various parts and possibly how you might want to paint it. Then work from there.

Some weathering on small areas of sub-assemblies like the engine area and frame of the vehicle. The major weathering is when fully assembled. Super rusty like the vehicle in your photos only comes with an old abused vehicle. Paint will fade and small chips through it will be brown rust, but not some of the amount I have seen on some folks builds. Usually vehicles in service are maintained such that the fading is there, but corrosion is kept limited.

Hi Paul
OK thanks i will need to work out a method :)
Looking at the "plastic" rolls of canvas i am thinking these need to be replaced with fabric or something like a paper or Is there a std sort of very fine mesh fabric people use ?

That is up to you. I know that some folks use paper towels, or some fine paper or cloth. I have used toilet paper on 1/72nd scale trucks. As it is quite fragile when wet, it takes care and again, some forethought on how you might try to do it. It might even take a couple of tries to get it the way you want. There are some folks on here that could give better ideas on doing canvas on vehicles than me.
Experiment with it a little and don't put yourself in a bind with the experimentation. I do know that paint on the paper (even TP) will give it a lot more strength, and will make it hold the shape you put it in.

As said, it takes some experimentation to find what works best for you in any given application. In my Saladin build I used 2 part epoxy putty (Apoxie Scuplt in this case) for a large folded tarp/tent in the turret basket. For the dust cover on the 76mm barrel I used a single ply of Kleenex (facial tissue more generically) then held in position and shaped with a 50/50 mix of water and white glue. The bright green straps are the foil from a can of Sanpellegrino Italian soda.

IMG_0832.JPG

The tarp on the left rear fender is Kleenex again only more plies, folded and soaked with the water/glue mix. The foil straps where applied while the tissue is wet so they can be cinched down and add a few extra folds.

IMG_0828.JPG

The cam net on the right side was made from rolled up gauze bandage. (Cheese cloth can also be used.) For this one I used some dried oregano crushed up a little, and held in place with the water/glue mix. The foil straps where again positioned while everything was still wet.

IMG_0827.JPG

The tarps on my Staghound are epoxy putty and the cam net has thin strips of foil fed thru the net to look like the scrim used on British cam nets in NWE. The tie downs are embroidery thread soaked the water/white glue mix.

Paint 8.JPG

Paint 7.JPG

Coating the kit plastic tarp rolls with liquid glue and stippling the surface as the glue dries can help improve their look too. Use an old brush with the bristles cut down to about 5 mm for this. The same can be down for the crew seats if they are cloth covered. Covering the seats with a single ply of Kleenex and soaking it with liquid glue can give them a cloth look too.

Experiment and have fun.

Rich

Here is an odd question...did a lewis gun eject cartridges or did they stay in the round drum ?

Back