• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Look what came in today!

Gator

Renee let me order a white toner cartridge for my laser printer. I’ll be testing it out this weekend.

B6613A8E-6B36-4A6F-B5C9-8BDB25EE7A02.jpeg

Those of us with ALPS printers would love to have a laser that could print white, but the paper handling is different, too. The ALPS has an overlay setting where it keeps the paper in the printer between colors. Running the paper through twice on a laser will not have good enough registration to build up passes over a white undercoat. But I would still like to have the option of printing white with the laser, lots of the time you only need white lettering.

I ordered some clear decal sheets with the blue backing paper from Micro Mark this week. I have clear decal paper but it has white backing, very hard to see where the decal is. John, I've been thinking about the color on white issue. On an upcoming build I am going to print the white background and the reinstall the black cartridge and print the color on clear. I do plan on testing the ability to run the image twice and overlay the color on the white. I'll see what works.

I did some research including watching a video by a modeler who has an ALPS printer. He commented that laser printers, while producing a wonderful image, just doesn’t have the technology yet to run a decal sheet multiple times and have the image be in register, or alignment. So, overlaying decals is the only way to go for black or colors on a white background. But, having been a long time ALPS user, he said that the inconvenience of layering decals with a white background is nothing compared to the mess and hassle of the ALPS printer. I agree. I’m an old school sign painter who also silk screened hundreds of thousands of political campaign signs. Overlaying colors with multiple passes was the only way to do it. There were no solvent based printers that printed on corrugated plastic in the late 80s and 90s. Overlaying colors in multiple passes, or decals, isn’t much of a negative when it comes to making custom decals for a model I’m building.

Kenny have you ever used Xerox solid ink printers? We had a big one at the plant back when they printed marketing material locally but it needed a maintenance kit that cost $600. I couldn't get anyone to cover the cost and broke my heart to throw it out in E-Cycle bin.

No I haven't. It's sounds interesting, but I'll stick with my laser printer. It was free and with buying a house I'm not in a position to make any big purchases for a while.

Back