• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Let's make icicles

Ozzie Jo

There have been some fantastic models and dioramas recently with snow and icicles that are perfect examples for a diorama I am working on. The snow I can stumble through and have made bi-carb snow in the past but I would like to know how to make those wonderful icicles I have been seeing dripping off of armour.
I am looking for more of a melting, wet snow look with plenty of slush and ice. Said icicles look very realistic and clear.

I can vaguely remember an article on making the sleet side of things with superglue and snow product instead of white glue and bi-carb or snow product but have only retained the very basics of it in my mind. Searching online is turning up too many red-herrings so I would like to know if anyone else knows of such tutorials.

While not as important I am interested in trying out weathering effects related to extreme cold... specifically changes in the appearance of painted metal covered with frost as compared to areas near engines and exhausts that have been warmed. Any information on articles and/or tutorials will suffice.

Many thanks in advance,

Jo.

Hi Joe, check out woodlands scenics! They have a nice easy to pur resin product that you can create water features with! Easily adapted to icicles of you own creation. They also have a scenic DVD.

Just remember to wear sunglasses, hat and long coat when entering the "railroad" section of your LHS. :evil:

Adrian

Johnny , very cool ice and snow work , ........ very cool !!!

Jo , .......... ya can't get any better than this ................

Dioramix wrote:
Glenn, thanks a lot, man!

The iced water is made from transparent acrylic cream. The ice is rolled-out and cut transparent silicone from the tool shop.

Acrylic Cream ? do you have a brand name ? I'm not sure what you mean ?? & th transparent Silicone do you mean like RTV sealant ? Silicone caulk ?

These Look Fantastic !!! Thanx for sharing !! I wanna put some Icecycles on a PzIV .. like it is caught in a Freezing Rain storm. I have a photo that shows a Panzer Commander talking to his PzIV driver in what looks like a Freezing Down pour & have always wondered how to model that !

I'll dig through th 'ol Panzer Library & see if I can get th image posted so, you know what I mean.

ERIK

Dioramix wrote:
panzerace007 wrote:
Acrylic Cream ? do you have a brand name ?

We took the Schmincke Acryl Strukturgel Schmincke Gel

th transparent Silicone do you mean like RTV sealant ? Silicone caulk ?

Take the stuff for plumbers, to seal the seams in the kitchen & bathroom & shower. :)

Well I'm a Plumber , so I know exactly what you're talkin about with that. I'll have to look up th Schmincke Gel !

Thanx & Great Job on th winter Dio (y)

ERIK

Back