• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Latest aquisition........at our Museum!

sharkman

Master at Arms
So, I think I mentioned we hold our model meetings at our local museum, The Atlantic Canada Aviation Museum (which I volunteer at as well) amongst the aircraft, well we just acquired this beauty just before Christmas!

I just got to see it for the first time last weekend, a Boeing Stearman

IMG_6905.JPG

IMG_6906.JPG

We had to take the wings off to display it as you can see, space is a premium. Got it tucked in between the Canso, Harvard and the Sabre

IMG_6909.JPG

IMG_6903.JPG

IMG_6904.JPG

Rear cockpit

IMG_6907.JPG

Forward cockpit

IMG_6908.JPG

I understand the owner tried to sell it for years but had no buyers so he donated it. I guess it is just 1 step/certification from fly worthy status but it will likely never fly again. A beautiful plane though to add to the collection!

I also see that they have a PBY Catalina in there minus the wing.

That's my favourite at the museum. Hope to help with its restoration someday! It's a PBY 5A built for the US Navy in 1942. After being retired it flew with various air cargo companies in the Caribbean before being bought by Eastern Provincial Airways. In 1957 it crashed in Labrador and remained there until recovered by the Museum in 1986 with the aid of a 450 Squadron RCAF Chinook helicopter. They still have the two engines and most of the wing. The inside is a mess but the plan is to restore it as EPA colours and maybe with 1/2 the wing (as they just don't have space for the whole thing).

Those PBYs are massive, very deceptive when looking at them. I didn't realize it till I saw one flying over a local lake years ago.

The Stearman's a fine flying airplane. I loved the time I had in one, about 50 hours. It was fun to do aerobatics because straight down it wouldn't reach redline, which as I recal1 was 183 mph, twice cruise speed. Though you could over speed the engine if you pushed it too far doing something stupid..

A few more shots of some of our aircraft. I was out volunteering yesterday

Starboard side of the PBY, visitors don't get to see this angle because the work shop/wood shop was built around it. You can still see some of the original Eastern Provincial Airways paint!

IMG_6963.JPG

Our CP-121 Tracker

IMG_6964.JPG

TBM Avenger converted to water bomber

IMG_6965.JPG

F-86 Sabre Mk V

IMG_6966.JPG

a Wright Cyclone R-3350 (this was off a Canadian Argus)

IMG_6967.JPG

Harvard Mk II B. We had this on loan but have since acquired it. You can see the L-19 Bird Dog just behind it.

IMG_6968.JPG

and our CF-5 (CF-116) fighter. That's a Lockheed Jetstar just to the right.

IMG_6969.JPG

How cool would that be to take a PBY commercial flight?

What a neat hangout Warren, really nice collection.

Back