• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Lancia Stratos WIP

h74e4cf4.jpg

Not too many pics of that one, Rob... apparently was also available with 'silver' wheels (y)

Ian.

I finally got some more paint on this thing. The livery that I originally planned to finish the model in had multi colored stripes running the length of the car on the roof, hood, trunk, and sides. The ones on the hood ran across rows of louvers. The aftermarket decals simply would not lay down over the louvers and the rear fender flares despite being doused in every brand of decal solvent (including Champs) and multiple sessions with a hair dryer and q-tips soaked in hot water. I eventually gave up, stripped off the decals, and masked and painted the stripes. Again, the louvers defeated me as I could not get the masking to conform well enough to get crisp color delineation of the individual stripes. When I went to strip the paint with oven cleaner, the Tamiya primer would not come off. I left the body soaking in oven cleaner in my garage for eight months while I half-heartedly looked for a new livery that did not have stripes running across the louvers. I finally found a sheet of Studio 27 decals that met the bill, but when I checked on the body, the Tamiya primer would still not come off. I ended up soaking the body in brake fluid and, after multiple soakings and scrubbing with a toothbrush sessions, managed to get all the old paint off. Disregard the orange pealed paint as, after I apply the decals, I'll clear coat and color sand the clear coat.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear the first round didn't work out Rob, The new colours look really great though!

Nice save!

That turned out very very nice
The Startos was one of my favorites of all times and thanks to my job I did get the chance to drive one on the Nardo` circuit in Italy, a quite loud but really nice car.

Back