• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

King Kong on Saipan

agentg

Here's the next installment of my USMC armor in the PTO saga. This will be an M4A2 used on Saipan. The TC called her "King Kong".

I scratchbuilt the wading trunks.

The bogies are Tamiya with DML wheels and details added in plastic hex rod.

This is an old Verlinden resin conversion for the Tamiya M4 series. I spiced it up with the correct final drive cover, wheels. commanders hatch and small details from DML. Everything else will be scratchbuilt.

G

:soldier More Pacific Armour goodiness..... (Adopts Bill & Ted voice) "E-x-c-e-l-l-e-n-t...."

Ian

Thank you gentlemen, gentlemen thank you.

Here's an update.

I finally had some bench time between my grandsons building and my granddaughter's paintings.

I used period photos and tried to replicate the sheet metal add ons.

I created the wood armor from .030 sheet.

I attached the wading trunks lower half.

G

Here's a bit more.

The Marines liked to convert old fuel tanks and what not into water tanks for the infantry on those hot hot islands. I scratched built the water can from a piece of old pen body and scraps of styrene.

G

We should actually have a Sherman section under Armoured Fury... between you and MrT, they would outnumber Axis builds!

Regards,

Adapt, improvise and overcome, I just hope they overcame the gas fumes in those old tanks..:popcorn

Thanks guys!

Saul, you ain't seen nuttin' yet!

I've been working 12 hour+ days this week but, I have her all together and waiting for the chance to prime. I'll post pics of the raw build just so you get the idea of how much bashing and scratching went on here.

One issue, in checking period pics I determined the plates on the front of the tank were most likely to be sheet steel. My decal reference sheet states "plywood". Either would make sense but they would weather differently.
If any one has a pic of King Kong on Saipan in a book, or online please study it and lend an opinion. I'm working so much I won't be able to post one for days.

G

One issue, in checking period pics I determined the plates on the front of the tank were most likely to be sheet steel. My decal reference sheet states "plywood". Either would make sense but they would weather differently.
If any one has a pic of King Kong on Saipan in a book, or online please study it and lend an opinion.

You had to make me look, didn't you?

G, I am voting for plywood. Looking at the photo below, I do not see angle iron vertically placed between the hatch housings but lumber used to raise it above the factory welded horizontal angle iron so that more plywood sheet could be attached. Second reason, wasn't it a fear of magnetic mines that made them add the armor?

000_0.jpg

Two more of King Kong:
001.jpg

tumblr_n9m4mrANtE1s7e5k5o1_1280.jpg

Type 99 Japanese anti-tank magnetic 'mine' which was tossed at ferrous surfaces:
Click image to learn more about this weapon.

Regards,

The thickness kinda gives it away, doesn't look thick enough to be any benefit if it were metal. I'd vote plywood, be neat paint job :popcorn

I did get a little time to look and I must now concur with Saul. What swayed me was that middle photo.

I see a barely perceptible bowing of the sheet, just like plywood would do when left exposed to the elements.

Those photos are the clearest versions I've seen and it makes sense now. Yup, plywood, there to thwart those specific magnetic mines.

Thank you Saul very much. I believe with a small bit of tweaking, I'll be able to pull it off.

Yes it will be a neat, but challenging paint job.

I like those...................

G

The long long work week is behind me now and we are moving forward on King Kong. She's sitting in primer as we speak. Here are some pre primer shots of the build.

Additional research and some big help from Saul revealed the front panels on this were actually plywood, used to thwart magnetic mines. They will be painted accordingly.

G

Back