• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Ju-88A: a newb's take...

BigDog

Well, here goes...

Here's the model before I touch it with my greedy newbie hands... hope it survives the build. :unsure:
fotobombercommand_04-01-11.jpg

The date is January 4th... hope that'll do. :)
jornalbombercommand_04-01-11.jpg

It's a huge model in my standards - the odd objects in the pic are a king size filter cigarette pack and a common size pen... :eek:hmy:
Ju-88A_sprues_rzd.jpg

A bit of history comes next, although I'm pretty sure most of you know this bird's feats much better than me. :cheer:

Cheers! B)
Fernao

Oh yeah that's great. More bombers soon the sky will filled with them.

Terry :ro:

Darn, Laura's goin' lightning fast with her Ju-88: I say, thank Gawd we have a year to build these models! :unsure:

As promised, here's some history on the Junkers Ju-88, one of the neatest WW II German war planes - IMO, that is. ;)

Excerpt from Wikipedia...

"The Junkers Ju 88 was a World War II German Luftwaffe twin-engine, multi-role aircraft. Designed by Hugo Junkers' company in the mid-1930s, it suffered from a number of technical problems during the later stages of its development and early operational roles, but became one of the most versatile combat aircraft of the war. Affectionately known as "The Maid of all Work" (a feminine version of "jack of all trades"), the Ju 88 proved to be suited to almost any role. Like a number of other Luftwaffe bombers, it was used successfully as a bomber, dive bomber, night fighter, torpedo bomber, reconnaissance aircraft, heavy fighter, and even as a flying bomb during the closing stages of conflict.

Despite its protracted development, the aircraft became one of the Luftwaffe's most important assets. The assembly line ran constantly from 1936 to 1945, and more than 16,000 Ju 88s were built in dozens of variants, more than any other twin-engine German aircraft of the period. Throughout the production, the basic structure of the aircraft remained unchanged, proof of the outstanding quality of the original design.
"

After reading a lot about this very cool airplane, I think that the above info gives a very good idea of what the Ju-88 was all about - versatility seems to be it's middle name! Personally I've always liked it's design, especially when it sports those weird radar antennae on it's nose - unfortunately I won't be able to build it in that configuration :( , as it was peculiar only to the night-fighter’s specs and this is a bomber GB.
4.gif

I still haven’t defined which paint scheme I’ll use, whether the Battle of Britain classic green/brown/grey/light blue cammo, or one of the more appealing Eastern front choices – including winter ones. Guess it’ll be an “on the job” decision...
39.gif

This will be my first build in some 8 or more years and then, I only seriously built cars. But I will have a tutor that will try to show me the light...
emoticon_nod.gif
Oh! I’m also counting on whatever help I can get from you guys’n gals! ;)

Cheers and have a nice build, everyone! B)
Fernao

Fernao, unfortunately your options are going to be early war paint schemes as these are A-1s. There are conversions out to do later models, but if this is your first they might be more problematic.
Le Arsenol make s an A-4
http://www.larsenal.com/catalogue/index.php?id_page=6&id_article=1088&ars7515221086=ars7515221086
and A-5
http://www.larsenal.com/catalogue/index.php?id_page=6&id_article=1088&ars7515221086=ars7515221086

There is also AIMS http://www.aimsmodels.co.uk/html/index1.html
The AIMS conversions are a bit more work. One I want to get will be the Mistel conversion from them.

Hope that is of some help

James

"... unfortunately your options are going to be early war paint schemes as these are A-1s. ..."
First of all, lets get something straight: you always help me, James!!!
113.gif
And then, yes, yes... you're totally right! I already knew that it would have to be an A-1 paint scheme (all the info I gathered on the Ju-88A told me so). Must be the "heat of the battle"... :laugh: So that's that: I'll have to check what is available for the A-1s...

Cheers and thanks!
Fernao

Topcolors 8 Battle of Britain pat 1 has decals for an A-1, 9K + LR in 1/32, along with 1/32 masks.
front%20cover.jpg

Hyperscale review
Same old color scheme with white spinners and L- Big Edelweiss badges on both sides of nose, though.

Just saw these Fernao.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Decals-Techmod-1-32-JUNKERS-Ju-88A-Bomber-MINT-/150539084222?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230cd421be
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Decals-Techmod-1-32-JUNKERS-Ju-88A-1-Bomber-MINT-/150522367008?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230bd50c20

The second set makes for a more colourful subject. Just in case your still trying to decided what scheme.
James

Hi James,

Thanks for pointing those decals out: both are interesting, although I'd go with the third one on the first sheet. I don't know how you do it dude, but you're the closest thing to a walking plastic-model-encyclopedia that I've ever seen!!! :eek:hmy:

Now maybe you could help me out with another issue... click here. This thing is bugging me... :hmmm

Cheers and thanks! B)
Fernao

I'm not the walking encyclopedia. I'll pass that honour to Saul. The stuff he's got at his fingertips is awesome. But I love searching for stuff so I get the occasional gem. Left you a PM though Fernao.
James

I'm not the walking encyclopedia. I'll pass that honour to Saul.

Hardly a walking encyclopedia, more like plugged in. I have a few Terabytes of information which I have been filing away. The only good thing is that I try to file and index everything so it is easy to find. However, over 1TB is still neither filed nor indexed.

Regards,

Oops, I responded. I did not know you wanted James' help. ..."
No... no... not at all: I want anyone's help!!! I'm at a bit of a loss here as there are so many things one must care about in order to have an "acceptable" model for a GB. I really don't know where to run to right now! :silly:

Situation # one: whatever kits/parts/tools I need to bring in from a foreign country will take a minimum of one month, maybe three, to get here - in the worst case scenario it just doesn't show up... and it always costs more than I really would care to pay. :angry:

Situation # two: I have already sent the money to buy one resin kit of bomb racks for my Ju-88A-1, which comprises two racks. Suddenly I realize that the model I'm building needs FOUR racks! :huh: So I must get back to the seller and ask if he has a second resin kit in stock - due to my financial standings at this time, I'd prefer him to ship both kits together (same mail cost). :hmmm

Situation # three: I wonder if there's a chance I can change my Junkers into a Ju-88A-4, which appears with only two bomb racks on the references I have. Not possible: the mods necessary would require a totally different (and expensive) resin kit - you helped me with this, remember? ;)

Situation # 4: I'm VERY short on money as I'm in the last stage of my new house build - guess most of you guys can relate to that, huh?!? This comes as a bit of a stress on me, specially when I start buying things I eventually won't use in this GB build... :blink

So all that is messing up with me a little... Your help is most wanted Sharkmouth!!!

Cheers! B)
Fernao

Relax Fernao,

I was kidding about my help not asked for...
:side:

My reocmmendation is to get the four pack of racks from the USA if the gentleman in England can't send you four instead of two. Keep the other set from England for other kits (these ETC-50 bomb racks were used by other aircraft as well. OK, to be technically correct, the Ju-88 used the ETC-500/IX d while the Bf-109G-6/R1 Used the ETC-500/IX b mwith minor differences.

If the set purchased from England are the ETC-500/1000/XI and the set from L'Arsenal being the ETC-500/IX d then you can mix and match as this occured in real life (just make sure you have a set of the ETC-500/IX for the Bf-109G/R1 unless you plan to buy the Ju-88A-4 when it comes out).

Regards,

"... My reocmmendation is to get the four pack of racks from the USA if the gentleman in England can't send you four instead of two. Keep the other set from England for other kits (these ETC-50 bomb racks were used by other aircraft as well. OK, to be technically correct, the Ju-88 used the ETC-500/IX d while the Bf-109G-6/R1 Used the ETC-500/IX b mwith minor differences.

If the set purchased from England are the ETC-500/1000/XI and the set from L'Arsenal being the ETC-500/IX d then you can mix and match as this occured in real life (just make sure you have a set of the ETC-500/IX for the Bf-109G/R1 unless you plan to buy the Ju-88A-4 when it comes out). ..."
I can't remember what type of pod is coming from England (can't find the pic I had on my computer!
emoticon_duh2.gif
), but I've just asked Mark (the seller) to send me just the one kit I had already paid for (the one with the two racks). :)

So now I'm off to buy the kit you recommended from l'Arsenal (4 x rack) - I'll just hit Tony Bunch with an email and see what happens. They seem to have it in stock. ;)

If I'm lucky, the ones from Mark will be the 500/1000 kg racks, while the ones from Tony will be the 250/500 kg pylons - that way I'll be able to build a more realistic model... :dude

So that's that for the time being. Hope everything works out okay. :)

Cheers and thanks! B)
Fernao

This is how things went down. Thank you everyone for your help, specially Saúl and James!

But... "I'll be back".

Cheers!
Fernao

Back