• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Jewelers saw - a must have tool for me

Tim A.

Working on a project today I began wondering how many of my fellow modelers here used a jewelers saw. It has been the number one goto tool for me on many ocassions. I got mine back in my silersmithing days and have used it for everything except a hammer.
The blades come in coarse, medium, fine, superfine and ultrafine - (you can't hardly see the teeth without a magnifying glass)
The saw gives precise control for a variety of cuts, ever tried to cut a perfect circle with an Exacto blade? It is designed for piercing metal but is ideal for styrene as well.
an ultrafine blade will slip through a no.90 drill bit for super small piercing!
Great on wood too, I've even cut 1/4 inch ply with mine. Does not work with balsa though!

The sawframe comes in 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8 inches. Mine, pictured below is the 8 inch frame.
The blades are usualy sold in packs of a dozen. (you'll snap blades alot) The one pictured is a coarse blade. For styrene I use the fine or ultrafine.
The saw as you can see is simple but does take practice to get the hang of.

Anyway for those that have them, happy sawing! for those that don't they are well worth taking a look at.

I'm including a pic of a steam engine I built as an example of using the saw to pierce the design in the headlamp mounting bracket. It was also used in just about every other part you can see.

Tim

jewelers_saw_1_20100926_1255026009.jpg

saw_blade_2_20100926_1933049264.jpg

tenwheeler3_1_20100926_1396126962.jpg

got one too and love the thing also great for cutting resin and of course metal figures, I use 0/4 saws any finer and sawing takes for ever, got mine also in my jewelry days and wen I say days i do mean days started on a jewelry school a few years back did not last long the travel was killing me 5 hour round trip 8 hour school day and a after school job was a bit to much

moon puppy wrote:
Nice saw..want more pictures of the train!!!!

Ok, heres a few more moon pup. It's a heavily altered tenwheeler in G scale 1:22:5.

Mondria, I just sorta fell into it. Worked at a jeweley store for about 10 years.

Tim

tenwheeler_1_1_20100926_1851701325.jpg

tenwheeler4_2_20100926_2076607995.jpg

tenwheeler_sepia_3_20100926_1118267586.jpg

Glad you like it Moon Pup. I'm working on another locomotive off and on. It represtents a 2-4-2 built around the turn of the century.

Hi Erik thanks. Well....not really. G scale is to big. A quick search showed that 1/35 scale in a fraction measurment is 11/32's = 1' The 1:22.5 G scale is 17/32's = 1'. Btw, In the railroad community there was a movement to change the true scale of G from from the popular 1:22.5 to 1:20.3, 19/32's = 1' and is called Finescale. The Locomotives and cars change in size but the track gauge remains the same.

Tim

Back