• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

James O'Leary's "Charlie Don'T Surf" projects

Re: "Resupply Day Shenanigans"

James any new updates to this cool project?

Terry :D

Hey Terry,

I've done some detail work on the figures like adding or correcting the jungle fatigue pockets and I have 5 of the figures primed for paining. Currently, I'm at the Battle Staff NCO Course and cannot transfer the photos to the computer I am on. I was hoping to get to work on them during my down time, but I got appointed the legacy gift NCO (each class has to come up with some sort of "gift" that leaves a legacy of those NCOs for future classes to outdo) and have been working on that project. Since my Battle Group is the "Gladiators", I am painting a wooden shield in the ACU pattern with all of our names on it and a shadow box towards the bottom with a figure of a gladiator in a pose like he is giving a briefing off of the miniature military graphics that I'm going to place in the shadow box. It is something different. Hopefully I can get it knocked out pretty quick so I can get some work done on the "Resupply Day Shenanigans" diorama.

Cheers,
James

Hey Terry,

I've done some detail work on the figures like adding or correcting the jungle fatigue pockets and I have 5 of the figures primed for paining. Currently, I'm at the Battle Staff NCO Course and cannot transfer the photos to the computer I am on. I was hoping to get to work on them during my down time, but I got appointed the legacy gift NCO (each class has to come up with some sort of "gift" that leaves a legacy of those NCOs for future classes to outdo) and have been working on that project. Since my Battle Group is the "Gladiators", I am painting a wooden shield in the ACU pattern with all of our names on it and a shadow box towards the bottom with a figure of a gladiator in a pose like he is giving a briefing off of the miniature military graphics that I'm going to place in the shadow box. It is something different. Hopefully I can get it knocked out pretty quick so I can get some work done on the "Resupply Day Shenanigans" diorama.

Cheers,
James

Can't wait to see you progress. :D

Terry B)

Well, I thought I was going to get alot done while I was away at school, but I ended up having to build and paint a shield with a shadowbox attached to it with a gladiator in it for a legacy gift that we presented to the Battle Staff NCO Course as a historical "legacy" from our class. I did get to paint one figure for the Resupply Day Shenanigans diorama, the one of the sleeping Soldier who has had shaving cream sprayed into his hand. Unfortunately, for some reason, my camera is not taking good pictures at this time, so this blurry image can give you an idea of what it looks like. I used Reaper acrylics on the trousers and jungle boot canvas. Vallejo paints were used for the rest. The air mattress is scratchbuilt from miliput. I think it came out well and can't wait to get better pictures of this figure.

DSC04031.JPG

DSC04030.JPG

Thanks, guys.

I don't know what the problem is with the camera. It was working great then recently it has been giving me problems. I probably dropped it or something and messed up the lenses. Well, now I know what my wife can get me for my birthday.(y)

Thanks Bob and Erik,

I figured out what was wrong with my camera and have taken some clearer photos. I'll post them when I get the chance later on this week. I also worked on painting a few figures this past weekend, but I didn't complete any of them yet. So far, just the guy on the air mattress is done.

Cheers,
James

Well, I figured out what was wrong with my camera and here are some clearer pictures of the sleeping Soldier.

DSC04107.JPG

DSC04109.JPG

DSC04113.JPG

I still need to add the dirt and dust, but I won't do that until I have completed the base so the colors match.

Two weekends ago I had a chance to do some painting, but I didn't concentrate on any particular figure. This is the figure of the Squad Leader who is tallying up the supplies so they can be distributed evenly throughout the squad. He has a pen in his right hand and will be holding a notepad in his left. This is as far as I have gotten with him... the base color and a few shadows and highlights. From viewing distance, the figure looks alot better as the contrasts are sharp enough to show the uniform details without having to have a magnifying glass up close to the figure. I still have some work to do on this one.

DSC04100.JPG

DSC04101.JPG

DSC04102.JPG

DSC04104.JPG

DSC04105.JPG

The last figure that I worked on to any degree that it was photographable was the Soldier spraying the shaving cream into the hand of the sleeping Soldier. All I did was paint the face and skin as well as applying the base color for the uniform. I still need to paint the hair. This is just a base coat for a dark brown hair color.

DSC04114.JPG

DSC04115.JPG

DSC04116.JPG

DSC04117.JPG

DSC04118.JPG

Really nice work James, see the jokester has a couple of teeth missing, can't imagine why... :mpup

James,
Amazing as always Bro...
Till Sunderman blew through here last night. I met up with him at SEA-TAC and
took him out to dinner before he heads off to Korea...
Keep posting pictures, I'm loving the build.
Shawn

Well, since it is going to take longer than expected to gather and build all of the resupply unique stuff like the supplies and the poncho hootches, I'm shifting gears and will be working on a diorama that I should be able to complete before this build is over. I'm going to call it, "Hey, I think that water buffalo likes you!" and it is based on a story that my dad told me about his time in Vietnam with the 9th Infantry Division. They had stopped to talk to the locals while they were on patrol. One Soldier slid into the water to cross a water way to provide security while the patrol was halted. Soon after he entered the water, a water buffalo started moving towards him which kind of scared him. The platoon sergeant yelled out to him, "Hey, I think that water buffalo likes you!" which is how I came up with the title for the diorama. Here is a rough concept of how the diorama will be arranged. The water buffalo, one Soldier and a Vietnamese boy will be in the water. On somewhat drier land, the platoon sergeant, platoon leader, and RTO will be among Vietnamese civilians watching the scene take place.

DSC04225.JPG

Back