• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Italian Tank Helmets

Can anyone tell me what the Italian WWII style "Devo" type helmets were made of ? They look like they have a hard enameled finish on them and very shiny with a cloth neck shade :unsure: or is it leather ?

Jenny :kiss:

Jen,

Send me a reminder PM and I'll scour my references tonight. Off the top of my head though these were the same, or similar, padded leather helmets worn by the likes of France, Poland, etc during WWII.

R

You're fortunate I remembered without that reminder, Jenny ;)

This question seriously highlighted what my modelling preferences are like: I realised tonight my references on German WWII helmets alone outnumber my WWII Italian Army references :blink :laugh:

Jenny, I didn't find reference to the term 'devo', but if we're talking about the same helmet, the Italian tanker's crash helmet, it was leather. The neck flap was also leather and served to protect the neck, probably from engine heat, etc. Painting it black leather should suffice.

HTH

R

Back