• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

ISU-152!

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
Well, in the interest of my sanity, I decided to break out a "less complicated" build. I've always liked the brutish look of Soviet/Russian armor and came across the Cyber Hobby version of the venerable ISU-152 at our local hobby shop a few months ago, so naturally it "followed" me home. I understand this kit has it's flaws and compared to the Tamiya issue, it is lacking, but it gave me a chance to try some new stuff!

img_2849_20100630_1171889640.jpg

img_2851_20100630_1412989748.jpg

The kit is pretty straightforward, 3 build options and several color schemes and markings. I intended to do a 3 tone scheme, but didn't like the color combo after the initial painting was complete.

After reading Glen's (Cheyenne) tip about workable tracks using the "Booger Method", I just HAD to try it! The kit Magic Tracks didn't need much clean up and using a straight pin to apply the "booger's worth" of rubber cement to each link, I quickly had a length of track that really works! I primed and painted them, using Model Master Tread Brown over Flat Black.

img_3017_20100630_1731719111.jpg

img_3016_20100630_1209867114.jpg

I made hold down rings from copper wire and reworked the fuel drums, adding handles made from flattened .015 solder. Sprue Brothers supplied the Eduard gun tube, which required a little improvisation to coax into place. Texture was added to the hull with Mr Surfacer 500, stippled on with an old paint brush, followed by Tamiya grey primer. I shadowed the edges with Nato black, then shot the entire vehicle with XF 73, thinned with Tamiya lacquer thinner.

img_3026_20100630_1094850619.jpg

img_3024_20100630_1801428413.jpg

The tracks were drybrushed with Citadel Colors Mithril Silver, the road wheels with Chainmail, also by Citadel. These paints work quite well for brush painting and cleanup with water. I have not airbrushed them yet, but am impressed with the drybrush effects they produce.

img_3026_20100630_1094850619.jpg

img_3019_20100630_1280105858.jpg

Time for a seal coat, decals and more sealer, and on to the weathering :woohoo:
Comment, suggestions, questions, general ribbing always welcome!

:peace

I've been sandbagging a bit, just haven't had the photo set up out and my bench is too cluttered for pix. :blush:

Thank you, Johnny! Now all it needs is an ultra creative "Dioramix" base, got any suggestions for me?

Thank you, Jose! I have learned much from following your builds, now if I can just finish like you do!

Looks good Mike !! Nice clean build.Should be fun messing it up though,those soviet beasts get trashed pretty good.
I got the new Tamiya one in the stash for the Berlin Build.

Looking good. What a beast this thing is, Squat and evil looking. Looking forward to more.
James

MIKE,

To take a Dragon Orange Box & have it come out like that !!! Excellent !!

Please Clue me in on the Rubber Cement Booger Treatment on the Magic Trax ???? I'm Intrigued ! :huh:

ERIK

Here's the link to the booger method http://tanksandthings.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=53&func=view&catid=36&id=16789
A big thank you to all, I appreciate the feedback! This has been a fun build so far, even with the kit's shortcomings. I have managed to get a little wash on her, but no progress pix yet.

Thanks, Randy, Kristof, Modelguru and Aleksandr! This has been a fun "little" build, I hope to get some pictures of the first phase of weathering shot tomorrow. Thanks again for the feedback! B)

Beautiful work. My only observatioon, if you choose to accept it, is that the edges of the roadwheels and return rollers should not be worn metal as nothing rubbed against them constantly. On a Panther, this occurs because of the guide teeth. With the single middle guide tooth, this would happen between the wheels.

Regards,

Splendid rendition of the Tank, Im very impressed !!!

I also agree with Saul about the running gear !

I`m also very impressed with Cheyennes tip for the Tracks they look fantastic

Ive also run out of things to say now

Goodbye

Andy :)

Back