• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Is the mini-series "Pacific" worth purchasing?

DioRandy

Hey, guys
I've never seen "Pacific," and I really haven't heard much talk about it. Is it worth adding to my collection?
I finally upgraded to an HD TV and a Blu-ray player (I already had a component surround sound system) and I've truly enjoyed re-watching "Saving Private Ryan," "Platoon," "We Were Soldiers," "Wind Talkers," and "Band of Brothers."
Perhaps, there are some other flicks you can recommend, besides "Apocalypse Now" and "Top Gun."
Peace and Love,
Randy

I thought "Pacific" was pretty good, IMO right up there with Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan.

Tom

Hi Randy,

I had the opportunity to watch the first chapter of The Pacific and found it awesome. Maybe not as fast paced as Band of Brothers, but very intense and much the same excellent quality. I think it's worth it all right! (y)

I know I'm buying it when it goes on sale here in Brazil! :dude

Cheers!
Fernao

RANDY,

Some other Movies to add to th Catalog -

Saints & Soldiers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Khp8UXK2ts&feature=related

When Trumpets Fade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w0NX4AnsX0

IMHO, I think these are a couple of really good movies. No real notable Actors but really good story lines !!

ERIK

Hey Randy,

I bought the series. No regrets! It is maybe a notch down from Band of Brothers, but certainly a great set and definitely worth having! Just my opinion, but Band of Brothers or Private Ryan would be hard to top!

Bob

Not hijacking, but... The Battle of Britain deserves a new version: watching the excerpts found on Youtube (I saw the movie a really, really, long time ago), one could firmly believe that it was a battle won by the Allies in the first three days, considering the ammount of German aircraft downed compared to Spitfires and Hurricanes! It's something like 18 He-111, 25 Ju-88 and some 40 Me-109, for each Spitfire shot down!!! :pinch: :angry:

Nice opportunity for a remake, IMO! :)

Cheers! B)
Fernao

Tough to compare it to Band of Brothers...they are two completely different animals. I have been getting the episodes from Netflix (I think there are 5 separate DVDs)...I watched the first 3-4 episodes and have enjoyed them immensely.

Thanks, Erik
I've seen "Saints and Soldiers" on the "tellie," as Andy would say, and it's a good one.
However, I don't think I've ever seen "When Trumpets Fade," but it, too, looks good.
Peace and Love,
Randy

I can’t say whether you need to own your own copy or not, but it is a must see. As the others have said, it is a different series than b.o.b.. I would highly recommend that you read the two books that the movie was based on. With the old breed by E.B. Sledge, and Helmet for my pillow, by Robert Leckie. I read both after seeing the movie. It was interesting to see how the producers cobbled together the movie story from the two books. As usual, there is so much more that the storyteller can put in a book (and the reader can takeaway) than one can put into a movie (even a multi-hour miniseries). Sledge’s mater of fact descriptions of the horrific conditions on Peleliu will stay with me forever, and have given all of us a peek into the hell that those men went through. A must read.

Bill

bookcovers.JPG

Thanks for the info Bill. The Pacific is on Netflix and as well as BoB, I just need the time to watch them all.

Back