• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hurricane Mk XII

jknaus

Administrator
Anyone know of any 1/32 Hamilton Standard Hydromatic 3 bladed props with prop boss or even files for a 3D printed version? Looking for parts for a future project for a RCAF 135Sqn Hurricane Mk XII from Pat Bay BC.
James

An SBD-5 prop from or for a Trumpeter kit would be one example. Or a -1 Corsair but the blades on the SBD are probably more like the right size.

Will have to check those out, thanks John. I have also found a 3D printed prop boss so might get it and cut the blades from the hurricane kit. Just need to see if the blades are the same.
James

This is one that caught my eye. It looks so different without the spinner.
135 Sqn Hurricane Mk XII.jpg

The Canadian Hurricanes used the Hamilton Standard 23E50 Hydromatic hub with 6353A-18 blades also used by several B-17 models and the Catalina. You may find aftermarket for the Flying Fortress props but that would be four to a set!

The Canadian Hurricanes used the Hamilton Standard 23E50 Hydromatic hub with 6353A-18 blades also used by several B-17 models and the Catalina. You may find aftermarket for the Flying Fortress props but that would be four to a set!
Sounds good but the prop boss would be wrong with 4 blades. The prop boss I found was for a DC-3. Is that close?

So, you doubt the manuals? DC-3 blades would be wrong as those are the 6153-18 but the hub is the same.

B-17 propeller:
IMG_9045.jpg

IMG_9040.jpg

DC-3
Engine_of_Douglas_DC-3.jpg

20540.jpg

This chart may help. Note the 6353 blade was on the B-17E and earlier:
Hydromatic%20props.jpg

So, another option is the A-20 Havoc with their 11 foot 3 inch diameter 23E50 Hydromatic hub with 6353A-21 blades...
W-Aug20-Ordnance-1.jpg

Sorry, TMI again!

So, you doubt the manuals? DC-3 blades would be wrong as those are the 6153-18 but the hub is the same.

<snip>
Not at all. For some reasonm I had it in my mind the B-17 had 4 blades so the prop boss would be wrong. I can get the file for a DC 3 prop boss so that was the question, would it work and you have said yes. So all I need is to find B-17 props for the prop boss if I read this right. I think I have seen some AM B-17 props somewhere but that could be my imagination again. Will have to look.
Thanks for the extra pics, some nice close ups there.

So all I need is to find B-17 props for the prop boss if I read this right. I think I have seen some AM B-17 props somewhere but that could be my imagination again. Will have to look.
Remember, B-17E and earlier have the correct blades, or those for an A-20 or Catalina.

Back