• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

How to make scale wood knots in wood

Well I have been asked by a few people how I made the effects I used on the timber in my last diorama . These are either direct or variant tips of Chuck Doans excellent techniques .

The first step is to give your wood some character (unlike straight basswood ) , use a wire brush to roughen the grain by brushing down the grain . Next we will add some knots to the timber . To do this is really simple . Drill a small hole in the timber . use a pointy scalpel & twist in the hole to make a small conical shaped hole , then super glue some cocktail sticks in the holes .

wpostwithknot.jpg

Once dried cut them off flush with a scalpel & lightly sand the area .

wpostwithknot1.jpg

To make them ultra realistic use a pin & poke tiny holes into the toothpick , these represent the holes made in the knots by borer worms .

wpostwithknot2.jpg

On some knots poke the scalpel in from around halfway to the edge , this represents where the knot has split from milling in the lumber yard !

wpostwithknot3.jpg

Jenny

Back