• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

How Do You Guys Do It?

Rob Norton

Hi All--

I just posted some photos after a too-long absence and I've been thinking lately about how I could get to the site more often. I hope you don't think I'm being a wise guy but I'd like to hear how some of you find the time to be such great contributors and comment-givers. I'd like to stop by more often and to do more than just put up the odd photo or two but with work, the house, family obligations, sleep, not to mention building models (!!!) I just can't seem to find the time. One of my big problems is that I work in front of a computer ALL day and usually, when I get home, one of the last things I want to do is sit in front of this one.

I'm aware of the just sit down and do it school of thought so I'm looking for some time-management ideas or whether you think it's better to spend a big lump of time at once or make little drive-by visits more often. I used to post some book titles once a week but even that has fallen off, though I think with the fiscal year ending, I may be able to get back to that soon. Anyway, this is a great site and I'd like to do my bit in keeping it that way for everyone, so let me (or more of us) know if you've got any tips.

Having said that, I've got to go mow the lawn now so if I don't get back to read your comments until next week, don't hold it against me. (That's a joke. I don't know how to make those smiley things appear.)

Thanks,

Rob.

Rob,

I think the key point in your statement is that you work on the 'puter all day, so coming home to get on one isn't first on your list of fun things to do. I wear a tool pouch all day, so when it takes me six months to remodel the half bath at home, it's for similar reasons, the last thing I want to do when I get home from work is go back to 'work'. Our homes are our refuge from the real world, a place for us to relax and enjoy.

Post when you can and don't worry about it, this site is always here when you feel the urge.

P.S. to use the smiley things, just click on the one you want and 'poof'.

B)

Yep , I think Ken nailed the answer ..............

The plumbers home pipes leak ...........

The electricians home lights don't work ...........

The auto mechanics personal vehicle runs like crap .............

The landscapers yard looks like Beirut .............

Wait a minute that means if I was a brewer ................ I just threw up into my mouth ...........

Guess I'm even more weird. I work on a computer all day and come home and get on the computer.

Well at work, if everything is running well I can do a lot for the site then. I can still monitor my network and stuff at the same time. Multitasking. That's why you see me crying about everyone using photobucket because our corporate content nazis block photobucket for some reason.

But at home, I have no kids, I live next door to my Mother in law so my Bride is there all the time. Pay a guy to cut the grass (MiL fired me actually and got someone to cut both our yards :happydance)

I don't hit all the threads like I wish I could. That's why often you'll see me commenting that I missed a thread of a really great build. Wish it didn't happen that much but it does. But the first page that hits when I launch a browser is this site to see if some software hasn't blown up, so I fire off a couple of post.

No help for you Rob but that's how I do it.

I work with a computer most of the time. But I always drop in here for the friends. Its no different to me that stopping and saying hi at work. The only difference is noone at work does models so this is my fix. Biggest draw are the friends though and you just gotta say hi or chuch sh------aving cream every now and again.
James

Greetings and Salutations Rob

I can easily relate to this. We moved down here (West Cornwall) for an easier life, but that went horribly wrong and we seem to be busier than ever.

As for the computer thing...

I used to be the training director for a large motorcycle training school. But when you have to ride a bike all day every day, you kind of lose the taste for it when you're off duty.

I guess it's all about time management, or as my Dad used to say.

"Don't do more, do better."

Simon

Rob, I can take a bit from each reply here... I work tools during the day, I have no kids (yet...) and as Simon says, (ooh, that's catchy) I'd like to think I don't do more, I do better... Just that at this stage the better has yet to be completed :blink :S :laugh:
Brad :side:

Thanks to All--

Especially for the sympathetic comments and for not making me feel like the site slacker. I'll just make the most of the time I'm given, which is all anyone can do, I guess, and "endevour to persevere."

More later, he said optimistically,

Rob.

Hi Rob,

No tips from me, only sympathy and understanding.

My browser tends to remain open through the work day on several modelling and news sites, however I don't really have time to post or reply. When I return home, same thing as I prepare dinner and do the quality time thing with The Missus and The Kid (with an 11 week old, 'me time' is a thing of the past). By the time I do have time to reply and post I'm usually too buggered and would rather do something brainless like play Scrabble on Facebook :laugh:

Don't even get me started on benchtime :idonno

Rudi

I like all the responses. I find when I come home I hit the site to unwind. I too have no kids(minus the cat and dog) my wife thinks models are cool and my neighbor hits my lawn when he does his (every week!)costs me some beer for him now and then.
the bottom line is that we all have other things in our lives going on. We are just finishing up our house and I will have a ton of more time. Of course we'd love to hear from everyone all the time, but we understand the MIA status as well! ;)

Hi Rob , I was wondering where you went. Good that you checked in. You got me to thinking by asking a similar question here regarding dry spells with bench time. It's a good thing I suppose, that life is busy. How's the weathah up thaya in New Hampshah?

I started a new job three months ago and I'm putting in 70-75 hours a week so I'm not as involved as I once was. However, the first thing I do when I get home is log on, check my fantasy sports and model sites.
My kids are grown and I deleted the wife a few years ago, so all my spare time is mine.
I really enjoy conversing with the contributors to this site and always look forward to seeing what everybody is up to. A lot of amazing and talented people visit here and I couldn't go a day without checking in.
I haven't had time for much modeling lately, but this site keeps me tuned in. I'm about to start in on my largest project to date as part of the "Charlie Don't Surf" GB and I feel energized, partly because they fired my tyrant of a boss yesterday and a lot of frustration and tension has been relieved.
Perfect timing!
Hey, look, I just saw that I received a promotion (I guess). I'm now a Moderator for "Charlie Don't Surf." Wow,, what a day!
Peace and Love
Randy

The weathah right now is too darn hot and getting worse for the Fourth. Still, I suppose all those people coming up from down south in Massachusetts must like it.

Rob Norton wrote:
Still, I suppose all those people coming up from down south in Massachusetts must like it.

That seems so wrong...Down South in Massachusetts... :blink

It's funny, we DOWN SOUTH had about the most pleasant day we've ever had. High did not get over 82 and really low humidity.

Hi there.

I'm so exhausted again that I just posted my reply to the wrong thread! Duh! VBG LOL

Hi there.

With me it's not about having the time, it's about having the energy. I suffer from sleep disorders and also from a long-term Chronic Fatigue Syndrome-like illness. Many times it takes absolutely everything I have in me just to stagger the 20 feet to the bathroom.

I'm looking forward to starting my Huey for the Charlie Don't Surf group build.

I still need to take and post an image of that kit and the newspaper I bought just for the date on the newspaper.

Cheers from Peter

heh, heh. right you are Rob. Back in 2002 my son and I drove up there from OK in June and thought it was awful cold and had to get Mom to dig out a jacket for me. And the cargo shorts weren't cutting it either. Brrrrr. It was weird having to use the heat in the truck that time of the year :D

Back