• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Here's A Question

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
After 25 years of pretty serious modeling and "collecting", I've reached saturation. I am out of conditioned space to store completed works to keep them dust free. My question is, what do you folks do with completed builds? Thanks in advance! :Drinks:

I can't get past this phrase 'completed builds', please explain.

Seriously, except certain stuff like the original Aurora kits or RC that'll I'll use, I eventually toss stuff. I just threw away the Eduard Hellcat and WNW Albatross last week, probably the majority of my completed work in the past 6 or 7 years. I'd gladly give them away, but don't know anyone who would be interested locally and boxing them up for shipping doesn't seem like it's be worth it. I would have sold the Albatross, that one came out pretty nice, for little more than the kit price but can you imagine the hassle it'd be to get that undamaged into someone's hands?

If the Vasa, Uboat or Bismarck builds come out decent, I'll be sending them to Webb with my son, he can display, donate or toss 'em. Otherwise I'll only really be doing either figures, 1/72 of stuff for animation that'll be tossed afterwards.

I store each project in its own Tupperware crypt. I drill two holes in the bottom of the base and the container then screw the base to the container through the holes. They can then be stacked and stored dust and damage-free.

I'm not there yet,I still have space.i have thrown away older builds that I feel are not up to current standards.
If you are attached to your stuff,store it and rotate your displays.

Storage is a problem, I've just got a lot of stuff. I have never "displayed" my builds at home, they are tucked away in cabinets to keep them dust free and only come out to go to a club meeting or to a very occasional show.
Parting out old builds makes sense, but there's a lot of kits that I never want to build again, so those might just go to new homes. I've never wanted to sell a build, it's my work and done for my enjoyment.

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words, but I don't think I would do that. It would be like selling one of our pets. :mpup

I was reaching the same saturation point as up till now all of my 160+ builds (mostly 1/72 + 1/700) fit into my display case.

With my wife's passing a year and a half ago I've been able to recently turn one of the spare bedrooms upstairs into my mancave and I added a couple more display cases so I'm good for a few more years. I realize most people don't have this option. Then there is John who is building a dedicated shop for his hobby. :drool:

I don't mind displaying some of my older builds on open shelves and dusting them off once in awhile. I can't fathom throwing my builds away. That just blows my mind but I am starting to consider it. I'm just starting to get into grand parenting (twins arrived last november and a 3rd is due in May) so maybe I'll hang on to some for them to destroy.

Many years ago I had around 80 kits built but unpainted , there was 1 or 2 with a base coat but nothing else. Facing the same dilemma. I ended up taking them to a model swap, buy and sell meet and put a $5.00 price tag on them. $10 for the scud Rocket launcher. I sold the lot in 2-3 hours. They made someone's test bed for a paint job or a resurrection kit. In the same situation now with projects on the work bench realizing I have little space to keep them dust free. They too may be sold at another swap meet.:(

I don't have much stowage space so I bin them after about4 or five months. I am quickly becoming a model hoarder and not a builder. A friend of mine just gave me about 40 more 48 scale kits that I will never get to. To me they don't hod much value because I just see building them as a hobby and the finished builds just take up space the I just do not have. No one comes here to see them, no one here really cares either. I started building as a way to occupy my time since I was taken out of the work force by heart disease. Some of you may remember when I started10 plus years ago and I have no finished kits from that time frame.

As we have discussed already...I say sell off the unbuilt kits that you know you are not going to build then get rid of the books cases. after that head over to IKEA in Charlotte and pick up a couple three of these...
1611927343443.png
1611927402879.png
1611927479459.png

Cabinet 1
Cabinet 2
Cabinet 3

I forgot to add...I have two Cabinet 1s, the shelves are about 17inchs Squair and their are five...which is better the just four. :vgood:

What are finished kits?

All 6 of mine are stored in those plastic containers that Italian food comes in. A few peanuts to pad them and keep them safe. I'm trying to talk SWMBO into allowing me a shelf in the living room. I certainly do not have the room in the closet

Back