• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

"Here Kitty Kitty Kitty" Paul's CTAII Catalina

Here is where I ran into a little issue. I am having difficulty in trying to replicate sun bleached black paint. I think I have the chipping and worn off paint look fairly well but I was wondering if I use some real thin white at a lower pressure at around 6 psi.

see what you think.

You could try this . Mix up a blend of Tamiya Flat Black XF-1 and Flat Brown XF-10 thinned with approximately 90% Tamiya Acrylic Thinner

Spray in an erratic manner in areas you wish to fade.

I also like using pastels Those can always be washed off if you don't like the results.

Cheers, Christian B)

Another thing you could try is mixing flesh with the black. I have had some luck with that. You dont get the grey look as you do mixing white. Just add some flesh and mist on where you want the bleachinng. Add some more flesh and do spot sprays. I'll have to give Christians method a try also when next I do a black plane.
James

what they said, don't use white unless it's the absolute highest point of fade you want to get. Use Flesh to lighten the black.

:zen

Nice looking build there Paul!
Yes those were quite large planes, larger than a B-17 (at least in wingspan). Always considered building this as a PBY-5 in tribute to a friend I had a number of years ago. Nice to see one being built up. (y)

Hey Paul, glad to see someone else building a cat! Looking great so far! I know those black finishes look tough but I think you're doing a great job with this so far. Must be hard to get a sun bleached, salt sprayed finish.

I have plans to do a similar one in the future so I'll keep watching with interest!

:popcorn

OK, here is where I am. Got the wing struts in started putting the glassy stuff on and right away messed up the blisters. not one but both. I will see if I can get a new sprue from Revell soon and then get it on. One of the blisters barely had any framing so the masking went awry and the primer didn't hold so when I removed the masks it pulled paint. I have some touching up to do in some places and I have to scratch some machine guns for the nose and a fuel dump for one wing. So for now I am going to let it sit for a bit so I dont do any more mucking it up.

I was able to do a bit more weathering but for some reason I am not real satisfied with my results.

I don't know Paul, it looks pretty good from the pics. I like that it looks really used and that you made some uneven weathering on the top wing (the starboard side looks much more weathered than the port).

What guns do you need? I have a bunch of spares from my RDAF cat that I built awhile ago. You're welcome to them if you want them! Can't help you with the blisters. Did you use eduard masks for them?

Thanks Warren, I appreciate the comments. Most of those planes really suffered harsh weather conditions and the sun in the South Pacific especially was the worst. From the pics I have seen it was real bad for the Black Cats. Dark colors really absorb the sun and especially black being the hardest to keep from fading. I will find a gun to go in the nose and as for the blisters,well Revell will just have to come through.

Nothing wrong with that Paul, try to get some brass barrels, they would go well up front. :drinks

Back