• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Help with painting a 120mm sword

Gator

Okay, I'm touching up a 120mm pirate figure I did a few years ago. I painted the sword metallic silver but it just doesn't look right. I'm thinking about either using Bare Metal Foil or getting the Humbrol metalcote polished steel. What do y'all think?

Pictures help (y)

Kenny, one thing I have learned in reading all this(although I have problems with the execution) is layers on layers on layers to give something that depth that we need to pull off effect. I'd try washes over what you have already, build it up and maybe a dry brush of some metallic.

'course you may want to listen to someone who knows what they are talking about.. :rotf

Is it a resin or cast metal piece? If it's metal, strip it and polish it with fine steel wool. Then give it a couple of coats of gloss for that mile-deep shine.

Tamiya do a kind of alclad in a rattle can now., its the best metal finish i have come across for plastic and unlike alclad it sticks :)TS-83 for silver and TS-84 for gold. both need the gloss black base.

Thanks guys. Chuck, it's a resin kit. I'm attaching a photo, not the best (I'm at work). Paddy, I can't do a rattle can as you can see.

normal_jeanlafitte.jpg

Where there is a will :)
Sheet of A4 paper, poke sword through middle of paper...spray :)

http://www.modelkitsonline.com.au/pages/main/search.php?Category=Paint+Metal+Color&Make=%25&Scale=%25&Search=

These are really nice to work with, stick is excellent, polishes up beautiful, dries ultra fast.

(Cheers Paddy! will check that TS/83 !!)

Paint it black, then when set rub it with silver artist pencil, then over this rub graphite and polish.

Back