• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Help with manufacturers

BigDog

I spent some time perusing on the Sprue Brothers site, after cheking Ron's SOS, and found some interesting special offers by different manufacturers. :coolio I know I have probably made this question before, but I sure can't remember the answer to it: which manufacturers would you recommend for newbies? There's a bunch of Tamiya and Dragon (starter kits) offerings, as well as Cyber Hobby, DML and others. I'm interested in some of them, but wouldn't know about their quality and easy of building. :idonno Can someone help me with this...? :hmmm

Cheers and thanks! B)
Fernao

Re: Help with manufaturers

Tamiya and Academy models is always quite easy to build. Italieri is nice except they will always have one part that should be 3 or 3 parts that should have been one (If youre very unlucky both)

What I have seen of Dragon (Have not done one YET) they look very good but mostly have PE in them so they are for more advanced builders

AFV clubs M10 I have looks great but I will leave commenting on it till I have build it.

I know here is a lot of guys more qualified to answer this question though than me.

If you are starting out Tamiya is good place to begin.

Terry B)

If you are starting out Tamiya is good place to begin.

Terry B)

Yep, alot of the older Tamiya kits still build up into great models. I would avoid the newer
Dragon kits, they can be overly complicated.

You may want to check the PMMS site, to see if there is a review of the kit you are interested
in...chances are there is.

HTH,
Tom

Well thank you guys! :dude If I recall correctly, Iron Mike had given me that same advice about a year ago, but I wasn't really sure about it... :S Guess the years are creeping up on me... :(

Cheers! B)
Fernao

I think all kits should come with a box of motivation and a bottle of patience, packed right inside. :D

Don't worry Fernao, what ever your choice of kit, it will be a good choice.
As you progress the differance in the kits qualitys and detail will become less of a problum, because as you advance,
your skills - you will be able to change or correct any faults you find or are made awaire of, by others.

Oh, and Tamiya gets my vote as a general rule.

p.s. there is no prefict kit- just read the forums :laugh: :laugh:

Back