• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

HDTV Experts around?

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm shopping HDTV today, very nearly got one but wanted to read about it first. Glad I did. The screen is a high gloss type and will reflect light back. Not good for the room it's going in.

Here's what I'm looking for. 47+-inch, LED Backlit, 240hz refresh, 1090p. I think the resolution will be high enough on this. At least 3 HDMI inputs, and possibly a DVI input for PC hookup. And the biggest thing, the screen has to be a matt/flat type, non reflective screen. I would rather, really rather have one of the first run brands, LG, Sony, you know, the guys that actually make the TVs.

Any suggestions?

I'm going to say no, not that I know of. I googled it, we have several big box electronic stores but guys like me do not do well in them because the sales guys are guys like me who think they know enough about what they are shopping for without help from someone else who thinks they know enough about what we are shopping for. That and some of them are like Used Car salesmen. You have Used Car Salesmen in Ausie? Cindy has this thing about getting a salesman where ever we go, it would be like Richie telling a shoe salesman what you want in shoes.

Seriously, I was impressed with the guy from HHGreg store, he didn't talk down to me and understood what I was looking for. The deal with the reflective screen just slipped me when I was talking to him and he doesn't work till Wen now.

Samsung and Panasonic seem to be good players.. mainly Samsung though.. and make sure it has 1080P output. The best bet though I find, go around and see what you like. Sit about as far back from it as you plan to where ever you are going to use it and ask them to put on a movie of your choice and see what you think. Bare in mind that the only time you get HD output from your HDTV is when you have HD devices and inputs into it. I don't know all that much about the TV system State side, so if you are paying for satellite/cable tv, find out from your provider whether the receiver box you have is HD compatible etc. And investing in a Blu Ray player would also be a must, with 1080P output.

Here's all the info you need on HDTVHere's all the info you need on HDTV if you haven't already found it.

If there is anything you want to know, let me know and I'll ask around the place.

Cheers

Rob

Would recommend Samsung or Sony purely on picture quality alone. Don't like your chances of getting a non gloss display as most manufacturers, for some reason, seem to prefer it (probably look better in bright store lighting).

I currently have a Sony 720p display (about 4-5yrs old now) which I am really happy with. My next 1080p display will very likely be a Samsung since the picture quality is as good if not better than the Sony's and are cheaper. Sony are overpriced here in Aus.

tanktrax wrote:
Would recommend Samsung or Sony purely on picture quality alone. Don't like your chances of getting a non gloss display as most manufacturers, for some reason, seem to prefer it.

I currently have a Sony 720p display (about 4-5yrs old now) which I am really happy with. My next 1080p display will very likely be a Samsung since the picture quality is as good if not better than the Sony's and are cheaper. Sony are overpriced here in Aus.

Did you get yours from Harvey Norman John ?

Jenny :kiss:

tanktrax wrote:
Would recommend Samsung or Sony purely on picture quality alone. Don't like your chances of getting a non gloss display as most manufacturers, for some reason, seem to prefer it (probably look better in bright store lighting).

Agreed, John. I tend to stay away from Sony though.. not because they are expensive, but I have had a really bad run with their stuff (stereo's, tv's, cd rom drives.. all dead within days lol). I've had my Philips 1080i TV for 4 years now, and it's been really good. It did have a problem with the speakers, but Philips (not their service agents, but the GM of Philips NZ) were onto sorting it out. I must say though, I can't wait for this one to die, so I can get a 1080p TV :D

Oh, and Jenny.. No, not from Harvey Norman.. I can never get finance from them.. and they never have the product that I am after at a good price when I'm ready to buy. I don't know what they are like there, but they are harder to negotiate with than a stone here.

LG's are quite nice; we've had a 1080p 37" for a few years now, and we've really liked it. Very nice picture quality. I have heard (can't speak to the truth of it, though) that LG makes the screens/displays for many of the major TV manufacturers.

David

Yes, LG, along with Sony, Samsung, Panisonic and a couple of more are about the only major manufacturers they are. When I was building custom built computers (back when you could make money doing it) I could have ordered XX number of computers from several manufacturers and have my name put on them, as it was, I build from system components. Same as TVs, buy enough of them you can have your name on them, buy even more and they will build to your specs.

I'm looking forward to this, but kinda wondering why, We noted last night we haven't turn on the TV in 3 days.

moon puppy wrote:
Yes, LG, along with Sony, Samsung, Panisonic and a couple of more are about the only major manufacturers they are. When I was building custom built computers (back when you could make money doing it) I could have ordered XX number of computers from several manufacturers and have my name put on them, as it was, I build from system components. Same as TVs, buy enough of them you can have your name on them, buy even more and they will build to your specs.

I'm looking forward to this, but kinda wondering why, We noted last night we haven't turn on the TV in 3 days.

You could get your own name put on a computer ??? :huh: :huh: :huh: You are such a poindexter !!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Jenny :kiss: (Written on a MoonPup 10,000 !!! :woohoo: :woohoo: )

Sure nuff Jenny, when I was in business I build well over 600 computers over the 7 years I was in business. I had several I branded with the Customer's name on it.

Yours would have been an IBlondie. :mpup

Back