• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hasegawa 1/48 Typhoon Mk.1B Bubbletop

Phil

Started this one for a break away from Luftwaffe colours
DSC_0284raftyp.jpg

A sheet of Tecmod decals for this one, (never tried these before) I'll be doing the white nosed one as I wanted something a little different from a run of the mill Typhoon colour scheme.

Yes they are car door early Typhoon decals, yes the kit is a late bubbletop, (who's going to check numbers anyway!)

the kit decals are terrible and these are the only one's I could source.

DSC_0406T.jpg

Will be adding these with dropped tailplanes
TT.jpg

Some early progress here, - Humbrol 78
DSC_0403T.jpg

used the kit IP decal, Futured down
DSC_0404T.jpg

DSC_0421T1.jpg

DSC_0422T1.jpg

DSC_0445t.jpg

DSC_0442t.jpg

The Ultracast tail planes fitted nicely without any hassels
DSC_0443t.jpg

DSC_0447t.jpg

DSC_0448t.jpg

the Sutton harness was a bit of a guess! barrel extensions are one tricky part to get right

DSC_0449t.jpg

DSC_0461xts.jpg

DSC_0460xts.jpg

DSC_0457xts.jpg

Primed and silver base coat on, getting ready for the main colours.

The kit came with markings for underside stripes only.

I cracked the bottom of the intake, had to re glue then repaint - which turned into one big bad snowball.
hopefully flat coating and some chips, stains may hide it.

DSC_0490xw.jpg

DSC_0492xw.jpg

DSC_0493xw.jpg

DSC_0498bw0.jpg

black is Tamiya rattle T/S29, white tamiya rattle T/S 26 pure white

DSC_0500bw1.jpg

DSC_0502bw1.jpg

DSC_0501bw1.jpg
]

DSC_0505bw1.jpg

Underside grey on, yellow leading edge now fixed

DSC_0518g.jpg

DSC_0548g.jpg

DSC_0550g.jpg

finished these guys and the rockets, all flat coated now

DSC_0556t.jpg

and where I am now.
DSC_0568g.jpg

Very cool. Always loved the Tiffie. As an aside, I was on a burial party for a Canadian Tiffie pilot who was found in a peat bog, I guess that was in 88.
James

:) Thanks Saul, I did start this 19/11 but didn't post up for a while.

Thanks James

figures,

http://www.dartmoormilitarymodels.com/home.html

in the U.S.
http://www.redlancers.com/

http://www.redlancers.com/searchresults.asp?p=6

I have these two as well

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/military-model-kits/figure/other-scales/1-48-wwii-two-raf-pilots-sitting-in-armchairs

Thanks for the information on the ground crew, they look like an excellent addition to any RAF rocket equipped aircraft scene.

Regards,

No probs Saul, you did put me onto that site for the shark-mouth early 109 decals, so a good turn returned!

cheers

Hi Phil
I see you didnt fall into the trap the RAF museum at Hendon UK fell into :) I'm pretty sure this is the only Typhoon left and they got it so wrong.
Always paint your stripes on the undercarriage doors when they are shut that way they must be right when the wheels are down.
This is a Hase Typhoon like yours i built a while ago with the doors painted shut

DSC_0008-2.jpg

And this is the RAF Hendon Typhoon

Tiffie2.jpg

See what i mean ....... :bang head

You would think they would do exemplary work, but they don't.I have looked at Jap planes at Wright Patterson and cables are hanging loose in the wheel wells.

The FW 190D has the wrong wing on it. The right one being at the Smithsonian on the other 190D. That said, they all look pretty nice to the average people 20 ft or so away :java

Cheers, Christian

Thanks Paddy, I learnt that trick of painting the gear legs closed when I did the JV44 birds!

Didn't one of the Gloster Meteor's at one of the RAF display bases have the wrong wings on it as well, when Tamiya took references and photos to make their first F1 kits it was wrong?

well the main colours are on, I did the grey then after realised I used matt instead of satin :bang head
left it alone for a few days masked up and shot the green.
Pulled the blu tac off and found an awful stain where I placed it on the grey.
So now it it heavily gloss coated which blanked the stain out

At this time I'm doing the decals, stencils then the main ones.

next time I post up she should be all done and dusted.

No weathering on yet!!

DSC_0595a.jpg

DSC_0594a.jpg

Looking killer Phil, glad you also go more realism rather than "good looking" I like your blurred demarkation on the leading edge between upper and lower wing colours.

Thanks everyone glad you are liking this one it is a nice kit to build, Geoff - more luck? than method on the leading edge! the Tam mask tape didn't want to stick too good plus two shades of yellow that may of caused that!

Here is my latest update - I wasn't going to post up until done but I think that maybe a while yet!

The kit decals were 137 Squadron, so I moved the letters around to stay with this Squadron, 137 SF and made this ''A''

DSC_0621xd.jpg

The Tecmod decals are thin as! totally screwed up the tail band, yes I should of used paint, but wanted the same shade of sky as the decal numbers, ended up using the Hasegawa tail band decals that performed faultlessly!

Interestingly the Tecmod did not like my usual method of Future under, they took a long time to settle down, and spraying the flat coat made the top of the fuselage roundels lift up, they did settle back down again after a lengthy time.
Future was brushed on top and left alone for two days before the flat coat

DSC_0622xd.jpg

DSC_0623xd.jpg

DSC_0624xd.jpg

DSC_0625xd.jpg

DSC_0629xd.jpg

DSC_0635zd.jpg

For your viewing pleasure,

Hawker Typhoon Ib MN180 at the Gloster factory at Hucclecote, Gloucestershire, 10th January 1944. This Typhoon went on to serve with 56 Squadron and later 137 Squadron, with whom it finished it's days with a forced landing at Predannack, Cornwall after the engine cut whilst in the circuit after fuel starvation on 29 April 1944

FA_18650s.jpg

FA_18652s.jpg

FA_18646s.jpg

FA_18647s.jpg

FA_18649s.jpg

now to go find how dirty to make this bird!

Hi Phil. Great looking Typhoon . Nice old reference pictures as well. Don.t ever recall seeing those dots on the upper wing before . Anybody have a clue as to what they are ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Back