• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hasegawa 1/48 BF 109 E4/N

Phil

I started this one quite some time ago, it had a curious alternate paint scheme of RLM 74/75/76.
This got me searching for info when the Luftwaffe actually started using the later scheme of RLM 74/75/76 on their aircraft, especially the 109 E series.

The Hasegawa ''Galland Special'' kit gives Dec 1940 for the alternate 74/75/76 paint scheme.

This info sealed the direction on what scheme I would do on this kit.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
" G26 were particularly strict when adhering to Reichsiuftfahrtministerium (RLM) directives concerning camouflage issues and had entered the Battle of Britain with all aircraft wearing 71/02/65 (Dark Green/RLM Grey/Light Blue).

During mid-1940 subtle changes to this scheme were being introduced with the addition of a grey 02-mottle effect to the fuselage.

RLM Yellow, either 27 or 04, was applied to the spinner, engine cowling and rudder as an aid to quick identification in combat.

The well-known "Schlageter" emblem was featured on either side of the fuselage, beneath and forward of the cockpit canopy, in exactly the position specified in an earlier RLM directive.

By December, a new 74/75/76 (Dark Green/Medium Grey/Light Grey-blue) scheme began appearing on aircraft then entering service with the Geschwader."
----------------------------------
The other thing about the kit was the E4/N version which I had not heard of before.
----------------------------------
"Adolf Galland was Staffelkapitan of III/JG.26 in July 1940, and by the end of August had been promoted to be Kommodore of the Geschwader, at this time equipped with the Bf 109E-3 before the arrival of the E-4 of which only 250 aircraft were produced.

A mere 20 Bf 109E-4/Ns were produced and differed from the standard 'Emil' in the new DB 601N engine fed on 96 octane C3 petrol increasing the output by 75hp at a higher altitude.

One of the best-known 'Emils', Galland's Bf 109E-4/N carries the chevron and bars markings of a Geschwaderkommodore and the stylised 'S' on a shield of JG.26, as well as the yellow nose and rudder, an instant identification marking that was a carry-over from the Battle of Britain.

Galland's personal 'Mickey Mouse' symbol was first used with the Condor Legion during the Spanish Civil War, and there are fifty-seven "victory bars" on the rudder.

Another personal feature was the mounting of a telescope (rather than a telescopic sight) through the windscreen to facilitate identification of friend or foe at a greater range. Galland would add only three more victories before replacing this aircraft with a Bf 109F.
--------------------------------------------------------------

So here is my take on Adolf Galland's BF 109 E4/N with the brand new untried RLM 74/75/76 paint scheme.

(and please do not ask me how many times I tried painting those damned mottles!!!)

Straight OOB with only Master Model brass cannon barrels fitted, dipped into that very nice brass burnishing product I posted up a while back.

The kit also has a very nice Galland resin figure with his trademark cigar!

DSC_0372x1.jpg~original

DSC_0374x1.jpg~original

DSC_0375x1.jpg~original

DSC_0378x1.jpg~original

DSC_0379x1.jpg~original

DSC_0380x1.jpg~original

the sight needed a rubber eyepiece so i made one from a thin piece of scrap rod which i drilled
hollow to slip over the kit part. Two small drops of my sacred Future on each end of the telescope worked well
DSC_0381x2.jpg~original

DSC_0390x1.jpg~original

Another one I have had going is the Verlinden Luftwaffe service platform, Verlinden gun maintenance crew, and various bits and pieces,

DSC_0391xx1.jpg~original

DSC_0392xx1.jpg~original

DSC_0393xx1.jpg~original

DSC_0394xx1.jpg~original

DSC_0411x2.jpg~original

DSC_0413x2000.jpg~original

DSC_0414x1.jpg~original

DSC_0415x1.jpg~original

DSC_0397xx1.jpg~original

This one would of been perfect for the Shelf Queen section as this would be the longest left not completed - but even that ran out before I finished this!!

Very nice Phil (y) (y) a completion is always a good thing regardless of how long it takes ! From what I have read the telescope was not actually a gun sight, it seems that Galland's long range vision was not as good as it could have been and he used it to help identify aircraft at a far enough distance that he had time to plan his attack.

Thanks fellow modellers! - some close ups of the Galland resin figure taken outside today

DSC_0446xg.jpg~original

DSC_0427xg.jpg~original

DSC_0428g.jpg~original

DSC_0440x1-1.jpg~original

DSC_0426x1.jpg~original

DSC_0452x1-1.jpg~original

Back