• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hansa-Brandenburg W.12

jknaus

Administrator
E_Hansa-Brandenburg%20W.12%201410%20C2MG,%20Zeebrugge,%20February%201918.jpg

From Wiki:
"The Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 was a German biplane fighter floatplane of World War I. It was a development of Ernst Heinkel's previous KDW, adding a rear cockpit for an observer/gunner, and had an unusual inverted tailplane (which instead of standing up from the fuselage, hung below it) in order to give an uninterrupted field of fire.

The W.12's (under the Naval designation C3MG) served on the Western Front, based at the Naval air bases at Ostend and Zeebrugge. The aircraft had some success, and one shot down the British airship C.27.

In April 1918, a W.12 made an emergency landing in the neutral territory of the Netherlands, where it was interned and flight tested by the Dutch. In 1919 the government of the Netherlands bought a licence to build the aircraft. Thirty-five W.12's were subsequently manufactured by the Van Berkel company of Rotterdam as the W-A, serving with the Dutch Naval Air Service until 1933."

Well I have struggled with this all weekend losing some good modeling time. Ever since I saw a built W.29 I have wanted to do one of these float planes. And I've decided after some small set backs and a lack of interest with the Ninack to do this bird. So bear with me as I start yet again to build something. I chose this colour scheme because I like the crest. I think I'll get another as well because as weird as it may sound I like the exhaust pipes on another scheme. I have not yet found much variance in the schemes and they seem to be pretty simple. I'm still looking for a W.29 though and hope they either get re released or that I can find one not outrageously priced.
James

Sounds like not too badly. I dont think the position would matter much, just as much drag standing up as facing down. Nice clear field of fire like this though.
James

I have a 1/48 scale vac of this plane, which will most likely never get built now. :huh:

Got to get with the program and get some of these kits ordered. :smack

Keep us posted James! :popcorn

Cool, you gotta wonder how it handled with the rudder dragging like that.

:popcorn

The surface area from the deep flat sided fuselage and the flat sided floats compensated for the the lack of a vertical tail and provided the directional stability.

Cheers,
Rich

Okay got started on the wood work and glued the floats together.

DSC05038.JPG

DSC05039.JPG

DSC05040.JPG

DSC05041.JPG

DSC05042.JPG

Going to give it a few days and then use clear yellow, clear orange, and a mix I made to finish the wood work. Then I can start detailing. In the meantime will start working on the engine.
Comments and critiques welcome.
James

Thanks guys. Okay got the wood work done and got the floats built and some RLM02 in the cockpit.

DSC05046.JPG

Man thos Bobs Buckles eyelets are tiny. Decided to use the little nib on the supports of the legs to drill holes and insert the eyelets. I could not see a clear enough picture but I feel this is where they should go. Hard to see it in there.

DSC05047.JPG

I think the wood work came out really well. Still finding it hard to take a good pic but in real life they look really nice.

DSC05051.JPG

DSC05052.JPG

DSC05053.JPG

James

Looking real good James! The push to get on the stick myself and get some of the ones I want ordered before they dry up.

Thanks guys. Okay got the wood work done and got the floats built and some RLM02 in the cockpit.

DSC05046.JPG

Man thos Bobs Buckles eyelets are tiny. Decided to use the little nib on the supports of the legs to drill holes and insert the eyelets. I could not see a clear enough picture but I feel this is where they should go. Hard to see it in there.

DSC05047.JPG

I think the wood work came out really well. Still finding it hard to take a good pic but in real life they look really nice.

DSC05051.JPG

DSC05052.JPG

DSC05053.JPG

James

Sweet progress! :popcorn

Okay, small update. Working on the instrument panel and have some decals on. Doing some detail painting as well. Have the fuel pressure pump on and added the line to it. Have the pulies on the airframe drilled ready for adding some control lines. Have the fuse interior painted. Made a compass and a couple of pencils although one disappeared on the map table and a map laid out. I put it at an angle for ease of writing for the observer.
Comments and critiques welcome.

DSC05056.JPG

DSC05055.JPG

DSC05054.JPG

James

How cool is that!

You got pulleys? I need one, the one that's required for the Eindecker was a solid part that didn't lend well to rigging. Got to correct that.

Looking good James! :popcorn

Back