• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

German 88mm ammo types the same?

Tankbuilder

Was the 88mm ammo used in the German 88mm flak in the anti-tank role the same ammo as used for the various 88mm Pak anti-tank guns such as the Pak 43 and was it the same as used in the Tiger I, the Tiger 2?

Thanks and cheers from Peter

According to Wiki, it's a loaded question. Looks like it depends on which 88 gun you're talking about but you mention the Pak 43, it looks like that was the same gun and ammo used in the TigerII.

Looks like there were three cartridges used, 88×571R mm, 88×855R mm and 88×822R mm cartridge.

I'm sure someone will more knowledge will chime in. :soldier

I just know that the ammo for the tiger II had a bigger cartridge than the ones fortiger I and the flak guns, more powder more damage!

I seem to remember there was a difference in both color and shape of HE rounds compared to AP. My son has Bakelite fuse containers for the 88 Flak rounds, so they were definitely a different animal.

I'll check some books later in the day if you haven't got the answer by then.

The 88mm KwK 36 KampfwagenKanone was the tank version of the 88mm Flak 36, the Anti Aircraft gun.
The KwK 36 was used in the Tiger 1 tank.

So it's OK to use Tiger 1 ammo for the 88mm Flak and vice versa.

The ammo used for the PAK 43 Anti-Tank gun is similar to the ammo used for the KwK 43,tank gun for the Tiger 2 "King Tiger".

You can't use Tiger 2 ammo (they are longer indeed)for the 88mm Flak 36/37 and vice versa.

Gr,Ron.

The 88mm KwK 36 KampfwagenKanone was the tank version of the 88mm Flak 36, the Anti Aircraft gun.
The KwK 36 was used in the Tiger 1 tank.

So it's OK to use Tiger 1 ammo for the 88mm Flak and vice versa.

The ammo used for the PAK 43 Anti-Tank gun is similar to the ammo used for the KwK 43,tank gun for the Tiger 2 "King Tiger".

You can't use Tiger 2 ammo (they are longer indeed)for the 88mm Flak 36/37 and vice versa.

Gr,Ron.

Thanks for that Ron. It confirms what I thought after reading and looking at images online. It's rather like 7.62mm NATO cartridges and 7.62mm Russian cartridges.

Cheers from Peter

Back