• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Friulmodel Track coloring,without painting

Teaker11

I remembered this from when my wife did stain glass. 1: take Ispropyl Alcohol and a tooth brush, not the one you use and scrub the track to make sure there is no oil on track, let alcohol evaporate. load parts in to ultrsonic cleaner
001-34.jpg
run through two cycles
remove parts and dry.in a small plastic cup or such add novacan plack Patina
006-11.jpg
be careful this is a chemical, acid when color is reached , which will happen quick rinse with cold water and let dry
005-16.jpg
the effect is a rustry black finish. try on one or two before you go with a lot of parts I got the Patina at stained glass store , they also have one for zinc I think I will try. if this has come up before sorry for waisting time, if not I hope you learned a new procedure.
Jim

Cool little tip JIm , new techniques are never a waste of time ( even when mentioned before , which i don't think this one has )
It's a similar effect to using Blacken - it but ..... different

thanks for sharing

Matt

Excellent tip! Was there water or another mixture in the ultra-sonic cleaner? Did you buy the cleaner at Harbor Freight?

Regards,

I agree it is cheaper, but it is not much easier. The method shown saves time as you aren't really painting, just dipping, rinsing, setting a timer, coming back when ready. In the meantime, you are free to move onto another part of the model.

Of course, do as you wish as long as you enjoy the hobby.
:)

Regards,

Back