• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Foliage as camouflage

I want to show you 2 techniques I used to simulate the branches used to camouflage combat vehicles.
The methods and materials are simple and with practice can be improved to achieve the desired realism

MATERIALS:

* Power cord approx. 2.6 mm in diameter. I used one that has 30 copper wire
* Putty
* White glue
* Painting (acrylic and oil)
* Oregano leaves, most entirely

Method 1:

1 - I took a piece of wire about 5 cm, removed part of the plastic liner and twisted the wires about 3 cm, there separated a group of 6 strings

Ram01.jpg

Ram02.jpg

2 - I twisted this group of 6 about 7 mm. and divided into 2 groups of 3 wires, each group is twisted some mm. separating them one for each side of the secondary branch; the 3 wires that are in each branch will receive the leaves

3 - The remaining group of 24 wires were twisted 7 mm. I Separed a group of 6 and repeat the process.

Ram04.jpg

4 - I covered the whole of copper with putty diluted in acetone, let it dry for a while and then I added putty in the parts that need it, until there is no appearance of twisted wire and looks like a branch

Ram05.jpg

5 - While the putty dry, I was preparing the leaves. It is this aspect as they were when I bought:

Ram07.jpg

6 - Mixing oils paints yellow, blue and black, got a color that seemed appropriate for the leaves; I diluted it with a little turpentine, prepared little paint, something like 2 to 3 cc. Then if necessary, prepare another batch, allowing us to vary the color

Ram08.jpg

7 - I took a few leaves with a spoon and put it into the jar , stirring gently with a brush, to mix without breaking the leaves

Ram09.jpg

8 - When the leaves absorb the paint, scatters them on absorbent paper and let dry.

You can repeat steps 6 through 8 by varying the tone of the color and after the leaves dry, mix the different batches

9 - Once the putty dry, I painted the branches with acrylic paint, mixing colors to achieve an acceptable tone
When the paint dried, I applied white glue using a fine brush

Ram06.jpg

10 - Then it's go throwing leaves on branches with glue, trying to cover as much as possible, end, shake to falling leaves are not stuck

Done !

Ram10.jpg

Method 2

This second method is to get thinner main branches, I take 6-wire branches and go sticking them in holes made in the case of a telephone cable

RamBa.jpg

The rest of the technique is the same as above

RamBb.jpg

Of course, there is some variations in the materials used: epoxi putty, or wall filler or paper maché can replace the putty; you can use P.E. leaves too an even can build the trunk with the method 1 or using a pen covered with putty or Das Pronto and build...a tree!

I hope you like

Darío

P.S: please excuse my bad english; if there are some mistake with the text, please let me know

DARIO,

Now Those look cool !!

Have you thought of using small dried flowers ? Like Baby's Breathe ?

How well do these hold up ? Do they ever mold ?

Very Cool SbS ! :peace

ERIK

Back