• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

"Final warning"

Greg Kimsey

This is supposed to be a model of Ciri from The Witcher series. I L.O.V.E. that series! But, this woman looks too old to me to be Ciri, so I painted har as someone else. It looks to me like she is saying to someone "This is you final warning. Back off. If this sword leaves the scabbard your life is forfeit."
20221025_135620.jpg
20221025_135610.jpg
20221025_135600.jpg
20221025_135546.jpg
20221025_135537.jpg

I don't think I will ever paint a figure that doesn't have lumps in the paint on the skin parts. I think I have it smooth and then look under magnification and BUMPS! It is frustrating. I AM getting better, there are fewer in this one than in any other I have done. So...maybe one day!

I had a go a figures a while back and got no where for the same reason. I knew what i wanted to do but even with 50% retarder the paint dried on the brush and just dragged.

To me it looks awesome. You can be your own worse critic for sure. But also recognizing what looks bad for you goes a long way to improving.

Git'er done Greg, looks great!

There is an art to figure painting, especially the larger scale figures. I started going to Wonderfest a few years ago and the level of paint work is beyond anything I had ever seen before. The great thing about going is that I now have a number of folks that do the best work as friends and they are super helpful with how to do things. One of the best painters is a retired art teacher from public schools who's paintwork on figures is awsome and he is one of the nicest most helpful folks there.
Greg are you using a wet pallet by chance? It can make a HUGE difference when working with acrylic paints.

There is an art to figure painting, especially the larger scale figures. I started going to Wonderfest a few years ago and the level of paint work is beyond anything I had ever seen before. The great thing about going is that I now have a number of folks that do the best work as friends and they are super helpful with how to do things. One of the best painters is a retired art teacher from public schools who's paintwork on figures is awsome and he is one of the nicest most helpful folks there.
Greg are you using a wet pallet by chance? It can make a HUGE difference when working with acrylic paints.
I used a wet palette for a long time but I have not been for the last two figures. I could never keep the consistancy of the paint consistant with the wet palette and found that I could with a plastic palette. I may give it another go now that I have gotten a little better. I would LOVE to go to a show. The people on PuttyandPaint.com blow my mind; imagine seeing those pieces in person!

The figure looks great from here, Greg. You're using acrylics and I use oils, so I couldn't give any realistic advice on that, but a wet pallet, IMHO, will give you constant wet paint to work from, thinned as much or as little as you need. I used a wet pallet for the tartans on my Highlander figures and opening up the plastic tub I can still see wet paint and can use it with just a minor bit of mixing or adding a dab more to bring it back alive.

The quality of paint is a major issue with acrylic figure painters, just like my oils are for me. If you're constantly getting lumps with whatever paint you are using, try a higher quality paint. Lumpy paint should never be an issue when painting figures; it hinders the end result, as you already know.

Do you use primer on your figures before painting? I do myself and before any color ever touches the figure, I carefully scrutinize the entire surface of the figure for any missed mold lines, bumps, areas to repair, etc. Lumps that you would have missed without primer "pop out" after a light coat of primer.

Your leather work looks great too, btw.

I do prime the figures, and do the zenith highlight trick before painting. I have only used my oil paints on one figure. I am not sure why I don't do more to be honest. I do all of my major paintings in oils (which you can see here if you want- http://www.gregkimseyart.com/latest-work.html). I may get the wet palette back out and use it again. Or I may try my next figure with oils. I have one I am preparing to paint already. Thank you very much for the great advice and compliments!

Back