• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Filling Ejector Pin Marks Made Easy

I like many have groaned when on the inside of every hatch , specially it seems with Tamiya , there is a filthy great series of ejector pin marks !

Well the tool makers add these to the mould to help extract the plastic from the mould in the manufacturing process . Key words ?????? tool makers The pin marks are a regular sizing that the tool maker added , how does this help us ?

The Historex Punch & Die set :D

T34tankprogress002.jpg

The pins are the same size as the dies in a punch and die set sooo just add discs to the pin marks :D , carry different thicknesses (or multi ply) for different circumstances , as most modellers know , it is easier to sand an "outy" pin mark than fill an "inny" pin mark .

I hope this helps !

Jenny

Another "trick" I use is to fill recessed pin marks with Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer (or Mr Surfacer - they are both quite similar).

[li]Using a toothpick, I deposit a drop of LSP and run the tip of the toothpick around the circumference of the depression to ensure coverage.[/li]
[li]Overfill the pin mark so that it "domes" above and leave it to dry overnight.[/li]
[li]When dry, carefully shave the top off the "dome" with a chisel-edge knife blade to the level of the surrounding plastic. (The Tamiya LSP is somehat softer than styrene when dry.)[/li]

When done right this leaves you with a flush-filled pin mark requiring little sanding.

Naturally, this method works best on flat surfaces with little surrounding detail, but with care can be used in many situations.

Thank you Jenny, very useful tip.. I never thought if would be so easier. :S But am I a modeller so devoid of immagination, I often wonder ? :blush:

Massimo :)

Back