• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Early WWII russian tank green

iowabrit

Not being very well up on the subject, can anyone suggest a decent early war green to paint a KV1 ekranami? I prefer to use modelmaster acrylic.....

Well, this is my mix to get 4BO, alas it is Tamiya colors.

4BOFormulaSm.jpg

Measuring Tamiya Paint

I give up. :pinch: Kick me back to "L"

JSteinman wrote:
Well, this is my mix to get 4BO, alas it is Tamiya colors.

4BOFormulaSm.jpg

John's photo brings up the following questions.

I have acquired a collection of Tamiya Acrylics and am constantly faced with the problem of how to precisely measure the paint for accurate and repeatable mixes. The Vallejo paints have the obvious advantage of the eye-dropper bottles for dispensing the product ( I guess you count the drops?). The second issue is how to do this and not waste a boatload of paint in the process ($). It seems like I leave more paint on the stirring stick than I use on the model. John? (Sorry for hijacking your photo. I hope that I’m not guilty of a breach of etiquette. :blush: ) Anyone? Thanks in advance.

Bill

It's pretty easy actually. For colors that I use a lot, like this and black, I actually clean out an old bottle, and using an eye dropper, premix, and thin, for the AB, a full bottle at a time! I make a mark on the outside of the dropper and this counts as 1 part, half of this is 1/2 part. Thus to make the 4BO I will use full or partial dropper fulls of each color, keeping track of the total number of dropper fulls, then add that much thinner to the mix and I am all set for 3-4 models!

If I am going to use a color straight from the bottle, I mix in the AB cup using a dropper.

HTH

Re: Paint mixing

Ok. I guess the eyedropper is the winner. It makes sense to mix up a pot of a custom color for the whole project (or two) as well. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Apologies to the Brit for hijacking your thread. Cheers, Bill

Just a quick tip that I use

As Ive got a really terrible memory Ive got a little book that I write down every mix that I use when I discover a really good colour.
That way if I run out or have to redo then I can get a pretty good match

I hope thats helps

Now what was I doing ? :)

Back