• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dry spells

I think most of us have them from time to time. Been going through one lately :S I have three wip and they're almost done but I can't seem to work up the excitement to just go in there and knock them out. I could start a fresh build and I do have exiting kits in the stash but somehow it just doesn't seem proper. I'm interested in other builders' reasons or stories.
Ron

Nothing improper about it I have at least four models in various states of completion, but I will finish them sooner or later. If you need to start something new to keep your interest up go right ahead after all it's hobby not a job.

Terry B)

Post up some pix of your WIP, Ron. There's nothing like some positive feedback to get one recharged and revved up about a build. Just my nickel's worth. (y)

Hi guys. Yeah getting a worthy camera is on the to do list as it would allow me to better explain things here. I read through one of Andy Claesens build blogs called "The Parade Of Shame" where he had literally dozens of unfinished projects and got the group into it with him for encouragement. That guy had more unfinished models than I had completed in my lifetime but he got them done finally or at least most of them. I've got 3 stalled and I'm bugged :S. I could just park them someplace safe for later and crack open a new project and hope I don't forget about them. There sure is a lot of work in each that I don't want to go to waste. Decisions, decisions :blink

Relax man ! this is part of the hobby. Everyone gets some variation of what you're experiencing. myself - well, I suffer badly with it. I get some sort of "modelling depression" every few months and really sink out of the hobby quite a lot. Every time I sit down to model I make a mistake or feel like the results look useless.

Then one day BAM! I kick up a gear and I'm right back into it.

When I'm feeling like that I tend to give a little more time to other things. Maybe some fishing or gaming. Before you know it I'm back on track.

Yeah that's been me for a while. Moved and now gotta get my ass to building a new work area. Keep meaning to but keep putting it off. I haven't lost the urge to build (or finish). Just never get around to setting everything up. So many hobbies so little energy. I know for me it is only a matter of time. I'll be back at er at some point. Otherwise MP will hunt me down and nail me to a workstation! Ha!

Matt :laugh:

Right now I have 6 works in progress, some of which got started back in 2007. I periodically get in a funk and don't build, usually when I get busy with something else. It's always hard for me to get the motivation to get back into it, but when I do finally sit down behind the work bench again, things pick right back up from where I left off. Reading a subject-related book, watching a war movie, or going to a model contest usually gets me interested enough to start building and painting again.

David

Exactly what I'm feeling guys. It's so true. My work place is in the same room as our aquariums and I gotta go in there every day to look after the fish and there they are, those unfinished projects waiting right where I left them (probably will need to remove a bit of dust before proceeding). Seems there is always something else to be done before I can commit to sitting back down with them. I might just have to take the advice and dive into another project to get motivated and hopefully slide a stalled project in the mix while waiting for glue to set up or oils to dry. :)

Also, try something different. I have a couple of things with wings even that can at least make you happy to get back to tracks and wheels. In fact (and here's my real confession) I like to work on some Sci-Fi types of things from time to time. Try one of those MaK kits from Hasegawa or an old SF3D kit for a break. And if you just sit in front of your project for a while each day, eventually you'll get drawn back into it. It's not the fastest way to get over the blahs, but it works for me.

Rob.

Also, try something different. I have a couple of things with wings even that can at least make you happy to get back to tracks and wheels. In fact (and here's my real confession) I like to work on some Sci-Fi types of things from time to time. Try one of those MaK kits from Hasegawa or an old SF3D kit for a break. And if you just sit in front of your project for a while each day, eventually you'll get drawn back into it. It's not the fastest way to get over the blahs, but it works for me.

Rob.

Hi there.

With me it's not about having the time, it's about having the energy. I suffer from sleep disorders and also from a long-term Chronic Fatigue Syndrome-like illness. Many times it takes absolutely everything I have in me just to stagger the 20 feet to the bathroom.

I'm looking forward to starting my Huey for the Charlie Don't Surf group build.

I still need to take and post an image of that kit and the newspaper I bought just for the date on the newspaper.

Cheers from Peter

Well I have about 24 models started and right now are sleeping in their boxes waiting for the right idea for them to be finished. Is that a dry spell? Hope to get rid of it soon!

Ruben

OK guys, I'm gonna make it a point tonight to really go in "there" and just sit at the bench and simply handle the pieces to see if I pick up "the vibe". Masterbox's kleiner befelswagens I, has been a fight since I first opened the box but I know I am winning. It's those gawd awful tracks that cause a lot of sighs. I'll never complain about DML's Pz I magic tracks again :S wish me luck :unsure:

Unfinished projects are the story of my life! I've got two nearly completed for an IPMS contest in two weeks. Two weeks, yikes! I'd better get moving.
DioRandy

Sorry guys , but I think I'm the king of unfinished projects .........

Speaking of dry spells , ........ I think I'll have a Miller Lite right now , ....... after all it's 1:30 pm ....... , it's 100 degrees , 95% humidity , and I'm on the fence as to weather I should go outside and paint my Pz IV .......... on my UNFINISHED , Duel in the Sun group build , which I'm a few days late and a dollar short on ........

Woodcutter,
Glad to hear you are at least going to go in and fondle the plastic so to speak :silly: :laugh:
Me, I get to busy with work and the family every once in awhile... When I have
time (I work on the kitchen table, so I have to pull the stuff out, clean off the
table, set up the model stuff and then do the reverse every time I work on something
(except on Friday nights when all the modelers get together at "Fred's Garage" for
the weekly model meeting.
I work for the school district and get the Summer off, so I have a little more time
to work on stuff then. (gone on vacation for 2 weeks, so not much is going to be
worked on in the near future, but I will be at it hot and heavy soon).
I have always found that if you are too wrapped up in a project or two...
Find something that you can build (blast it out) straight out of the box...
It really gets you jazzed up and motivated to tackle the big projects that are
waiting... (That's my way anyways)... Find a 32nd scale snap tite car that you can
trash later and get the juices flowing. :evil: :evil: :eek:hmy:
Shawn

Back