• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dragon 1/35 T-34/76 Mod.1941 cast turret

FastasEF

Started this awhile ago for a GB on the FSM forums. Had just one or two hiccups along the way as it is my first 1/35 tank kit ever. (I built a 1/72(76) Airfix Sd.Kfz.234 but I don't count it.) I am planning on trying my hand at the hairspray technique as I plan on doing it up in winter camo. I'm horrible at weathering so don't expect anything over a moderately crappy finish :).

Anyways, here are some progress shots.

0131002321a.jpg

I'm not very good with progress pictures. Here is where it is now.

0216001905a.jpg

0216001904a.jpg

In about an hour I'll be heading out to shoot the green on. Then I'll let it dry for a couple days and take on the hairspray and white.

Josh

Hi Josh.

That is a very very nice looking T-34. Especially for you first ever armor kit (y) . Are you going to use the magic tracks, or do you have something else for that. And I used to have the same feeling about my airbrush :pinch: :angry: :evil: . What kind of airbrush do you have, and what kind of paint do you use most often?

Gary B)

This kit didn't come with the magic tracks, just the zillion individual links on the sprue I get to cut out and file.

My airbrush is VERY crappy to put it lightly. I have used it a handful of times and not had problems with it though. It's not so much airbrushing in general that irritates me, it's the cleanup. It seems like I spend more time cleaning my airbrush after a session than I do building the whole model. I think my problem is that I have an airbrush where is sucks the paint up out of the jar rather than gravity fed through the cup on top so I end up using more paint, making a mess, etc.

As far as paint, it's either Tamiya acrylics or Model Master enamels. I know people say to try and stick with one or the other but switching doesn't bug me and to get the exact color sometimes you have to use a different brand.

What I really want to see is a video of someone going start to finish, airbrushing something. The setup, paint mixing, painting, cleanup, etc.

Josh

Here it is all green'd up! I think it came out pretty well even though it's all going to get covered up anyways. Few more days and the white will be applied.

0219001429a.jpg

0219001430a.jpg

0219001431a.jpg

Sorry for the cell phone pics. It's just easier to do than pull the camera out and upload the images. Finished builds get real camera pics :p .

Josh

It's looking good, Josh! I have both a top feed Iwata and a bottom pick up Badger that I use most of the time. Clean up goes faster if you use lacquer thinner with enamels and Windex or lacquer thinner with Tamiya acrylics. I drop the cup back in the thinner jar (old pickle jar with lid), stick the business end of the air brush down in the thinner (in the same jar) and depress the trigger. The brush pulls thinner thru the nozzle and after a couple minutes, is releatively clean. Dip a pipe cleaner in the same thinner, insert into the paint pick up, swab it around a little and you're done. I fish out the cup from the thinner bath, swab it out, dunk it in clean thinner and wipe clean. If you're cleaning up with water, you'll NEVER get it all out. Works for me anyway. Welcome to the forum, can't wait to see your 34 done!

Thanks for the info and tips! Only thing you mentioned I knew about was the cleaning of acrylics with Windex. I knew to clean enamels with thinner, just not the way you mentioned. I made it harder for myself, lol.

Josh

Josh, I should have told you I do a deeper clean of the needle etc when I'm ready to put everything away, but between colors or if I plan to use the brush again that day, the method I described works pretty well. I'm sure many folks are more fastidious than I am about their airbrushes so take the pieces that work for you. :peace

Back