• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Chips N Scratches

Taor

This may be a real basic question, but what are the best colors to use when adding chips & scratches to a vehicle that is panzer grey ?

I have always avoided the complete grey color schemes but have decided to give one a try.

Regards,

Phil

Well usually chip first in a reverse chip of a lighter coloured grey , this is the damage to the paint , some people then add a primer red but I usually go straight to Vallejo SS Camo black brown which is a good dark metal colour .

Jenny :kiss:

jenny croft wrote:
Well usually chip first in a reverse chip of a lighter coloured grey , this is the damage to the paint , some people then add a primer red but I usually go straight to Vallejo SS Camo black brown which is a good dark metal colour .

Jenny :kiss:

Jenny,

Thanks for that. I have previously applied Vallejo Panzer Grey and it looked ok, but not quite right if you know what I mean. I shall add the Black Brown & see what differece it makes.

Regards,

Phil

If I may some color suggestions for the chipping:

Vallejo/Panzer Aces ´Track Primer`;

Tamiya ´NATO Brown`and ´NATO Black`

I have been using those colors - both with brush ans sponge aplication - and like the result very much.

Cheers,
Juliano

Juliano wrote:
If I may some color suggestions for the chipping:

Vallejo/Panzer Aces ´Track Primer`;

Tamiya ´NATO Brown`and ´NATO Black`

I have been using those colors - both with brush ans sponge aplication - and like the result very much.

Cheers,
Juliano

Juliano,
Thanks for the info. I shall be definitely giving all these ideas a go.

Phil

When you apply the lighter grey to your piece of work it can help if you make sure that you are not painting a brown grey over a blue grey and vice-versa. It may seem trivial but mixing your cools and warms can be one of the causes of it looking not quite right.

Once I have applied the lighter chipping I then apply the Camo Black Brown as Jenny has suggested. If I want any deeper scratching or chipping I will paint it with a bit of Vallejo's Hull Red which gives it an obvious primer look without being too bright and overwhelming. Any deeper than primer level and I use Boltgun Metal from Citadel .... or any white metallic paint I take a fancy to at the time.

My method of attack tends to change with the scale as I often forego the lighter paint damage on the smaller scales unless it is a large area of damage as I run the risk of it looking unreal.

Back