• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Cheap figure base

jknaus

Administrator
I'm finding it hard to find figure bases that are inexpensive but look nice. Today I tried a futile search at the lumber yard for some interesting wood to make my own base. Well they didn't have any (small town at the end of the road). But I did find molding for walls in walnut, cherry etc. And I said self, that might work. So here are 4 pieces of curved molding and a glued together set of 4. Also 2 square pieces. I am going to go and find some dowel to fill the center of the composite base, finish sanding it and then do 3 or 4 coats of clear coat, and I think it will work.
base1_4_20101015_1515442573.jpg

Then I put a figure on one of the squares and with a bit of ground work to kide the design it will work.

base2_5_20101015_1350746671.jpg

$15.00 for the 4 quater pieces and $2.00 for the square and a uniqe base. Cheaper than buying one and paying postage etc. Maybe someone will find this handy.

James

I like it. On the square base's you could add a piece of styrene cut to fit the top.

Tim

This is what I built the base for.

base1_1_20101016_1586402302.jpg

Now its finishing it and then making a suitable setting.

James

Finished base (well except for groundwork, 4 coats of clear varathane.

base1a_1_20101023_2005198028.jpg

Not too shabby I dont think.
James

JAMES,

Cool idea ! I went to Michael's(craft store here in th states) & found some wooden "containers" ( they were round) for $1 apiece !! I'll post some pix of th Figures as soon as I 'm finished in a couple of days !!

Back