• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Capt. Mikhail Mikhin - MiG 15 **DONE**

Capt. Mikhail Mikhin - MiG 15

Nice Job Ian!

this looks like a nice kit. Almost bought one last week

:popcorn

Lots of paint has happened ! - This is the first serious attempt I've made at the 'marbled finish' technique and to be honest, I'm not too sure.

So on to the pics:

Pre shade over grey base-coat went well:

h36c39b1.jpg

hd0318c7.jpg

Then marble effects.

h6ff88dc.jpg

hda6c784.jpg

Tamiya Medium Blue and Sky then XF23 Pale Blue in three very thin coats.

h087d7e8.jpg

hdd36da2.jpg

The topsides went the same way

h2805a6e.jpg

Khaki Drab and again Sky, followed by NATO Green in two thin coats.

h12499f1.jpg

More in a min...

Ian.

All done, NATO Green, Earth Brown and Buff:

hac4ed2c.jpg

hc92366d.jpg

hd5ca011.jpg

h2ef82ce.jpg

As you see it here, it's precisely how the painting session finished. I've rubbed the surface all over with 2000 grit wet'n dry (with lots of water). After drying for 36 hours I broke out my new Ammo of Mig Satin varnish added a drop or two of SCC1A Brown (that dark chocolate tone for early British AFV's), and sprayed overall two thinish coats.

Really want to hear what y'all think - hard to imagine such a 'bad' paint job took so much effort !!.

Next, Flory wash.

AFN

Ian.

Very nice Ian!

Just brilliant!...great technique...great results...like it so much! :eek:ldguy

Luiz.

looks interesting. I think the green patch on the inner right wing area may need to be revisited. The edges look a little strange.

Ian.

All done, NATO Green, Earth Brown and Buff:

hac4ed2c.jpg

hc92366d.jpg

hd5ca011.jpg

h2ef82ce.jpg

As you see it here, it's precisely how the painting session finished. I've rubbed the surface all over with 2000 grit wet'n dry (with lots of water). After drying for 36 hours I broke out my new Ammo of Mig Satin varnish added a drop or two of SCC1A Brown (that dark chocolate tone for early British AFV's), and sprayed overall two thinish coats.

Really want to hear what y'all think - hard to imagine such a 'bad' paint job took so much effort !!.

Next, Flory wash.

AFN

Ian.

I think I tried the same thing with a F86 years ago and NMF, never heard of marbled technique.
It's interesting, sort of pre weathering?

Well that was short-lived :bang head

h8235c6b.jpg

Flory wash reacted with the Mig Satin Varnish, no idea why I'm not a chemist, so off it all came - the blue undersides are still there at least. No biggie, it's a hobby not brain-surgery.

Ian.

:hmmm ... no problem my friend, it will be corrected satisfactorily :good:

Luiz.

:eek:hmy:

I loved the first camo :drinks

Your right Ian turn those lemons into lemonade (y)

Your right Ian turn those lemons into lemonade (y)

Already on it, brother ! :coolio

hf4207bf.jpg

he107d4b.jpg

Weird how a simple change in direction of the subject, and the colour looks entirely different ! - The first pic is closer to how it actually looks now. Changed the lighter 'Buff' by adding a drop of Chromate Yellow and two drops of Orange. Now we're cooking !!

Ian.

Camouflage redux:

heee0d0d.jpg

h81d85a1.jpg

hd6137f7.jpg

Pattern is sightly changed, the lighter tone has a lot more orange and yellow, brown is totally different and the green is the same. Next, Flory Wash (again :frantic ).

Ian.

Wash on (and off), ready now for decals:

h86d9a04.jpg

ha801b94.jpg

hc5efa2b.jpg

With a little luck (and time in the cave) could get this done just ahead of Christmas. :idonno - Thanks as ever for taking the time to look and / or comment.

Ian.

Usually I see these in an aluminium scheme. I’m liking this a lot

Sensational work! It does look like you're approaching the finish line fast. Looking forward to seeing more.

Back