• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Can you sculpt rooster feathers?

Ozzie Jo

For fun I am building a car rusting away in a dump....with it's very own family of squatter chickens. The main focus of the thing will be a rooster standing on the hood and for that I will be using a Tamiya rooster. With the importance the rooster plays in the scene the out of the box details are too soft.

I have tried and tried to sculpt a more realistice tail plume but have had no luck. Is there anyone who would like to give it a try for me? I don't want the whole thing redone.. just plumage on the tail feathers. I am happy to pay for the time and materials taken.

Yes you can. Check out how GOOD this old Tamyia set looks.

http://www.timelinesforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8977

Joe

A long time ago, I tried paper for the tail feathers. Sadly, I don't remember how it came out!

Regards,

You could also try real feathers.

If you can't catch a bird though :laugh: , I would suggest to give an old fashioned ostrich feather duster a try. If you have a close look you will see that each feather is made up of hundreds of what looks like long and very small feathers. You can cut them to the length needed, and then if they are to wide still, trim them with a pair of sharp scissors.

Gary B)

Richie suggested real feathers too , he does fly tying and the capes that he gets feathers from go down to teeny tiny feathers . There are specially genetically bred ones called Metz capes that are very very teeny , I have seen an indian in a Euro Militaire and his headdress was made from them and looked superb .

Jenny :kiss:

Ohhh. Fly feathers. How could I forget about that. That is an even more excellent idea than an ostrich feather duster.

Gary B)

sharkmouth wrote:
Flies have feathers? Ingenious!

Regards,

I really think that is the only reason why people don't eat flies. It takes so damn long to pluck all those tiny little feathers :S .

Gary :laugh:

there is a guy that paints figures made from a single sand grain with flies feathers/hairs did snowwhite and the rest that fits in the eye of a needle that is small scale

@ Joe...Yes, That is exactly how I have imagined the tail on my rooster... I just can't seem to get it to turn out like that. I think I have placed so much importance on it that it has now become a bit of a block for me.All over a darn rooster.. go figure.

@moonpuppy... I will post it when it is finished as I have only just started. I wanted to try a few techniques I haven't explored fully yet so it is an experiment.

Thanks for the replies folks... I think I may just use the rooster as is and hide the back end behind something.

Back