• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Calm before the storm ....................

Sorry Erik, I still feel it was overhyped, our media here had it penned as a huge, disasterous storm. Not sure what you guys are used to but 74 mph wind gust is a joke when it comes to hurricanes, it would have to be sustained winds of that speed to even be comsidered a category 1, gusts dont count.

Here in New England, Ive experienced many hurricanes in the 42 years here, this was nothing compared to others. Like I mentioned in another thread, 1991 (Bob IIRC) was a cat 2 with cat 3 gusts, me and the boys killed a pony keg and went out and tossed a football.

And the bad thing about it, if the next storm is really bad no one will heed the warnings.

It's a tricky call to make, if they had not issued the warnings they did, and this storm had been more powerful, they would be screaming why didn't you warn us? Damn if you do, damn if you don't.

That said, I don't recall any Hurricane sustaining that much punch while skirting the coast like this one did. Don't know why they thought this one would.

True to an extent Moonie, but you even posted a quote from a weather dude who said it wasnt up to the hype and was breaking up long before it even hit up here, yet when it did our local news channels had reporters standing in the wind making it out to be the end of the world, splashing in puddles talking about the devistating storm surge and pointing out fallen tree limbs with fear in their eyes as if they were uprooted trees tossed a hundred yards.

My brother in law is a district manager for Loews, even he made mention of the false hype which seemed like nothing more than an attempt to boost the local economy. "ZOMGWTF!! GET PLYWOOD, BATTERIES, WATER, BREAD, CANDLES NNAAAOOOOWWW!!!"

I walked the street barefoot and filmed a bunch of it during the storm as well as a drive around today showing the aftermath. When we get services back, I can post it on youtube.

Must be remnants of the storm, this thread almost got blown away... :mpup

Dang Ken, what do you think they are going to fill that 24 hour news cycle with??

Anyone remember the video, think it was NBC news, who had the reporter in a john boat talking about the flooding, and two dudes walked behind her in ankle deep water carrying couple of cases of beer?

i have to agree in NYC the storm was way over hyped. I think this was do to the fact the city blew it with the Blizzard of '10 and our Mayor didn't want to screw things up again. The day befor the storm 1010 news radio was the only one saying it would hit as a tropical storm while all the TV stations were pushing it is going to be a huge hurricane that will devistate NYC.

Main thing is it wasn't that bad and not as much damage as expected here.

Hope everyone that got hit hard is ok and will recover quickly !

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Here's a good one , the township I live in called my house at 3pm Sunday ............... wait for it ......................

The message said , .......... " If you have been evacuated , it's ok to return to your home " ........... CALLED MY HOUSE , ..... MY HOUSE PHONE , ...........
IF I HAD BEEN EVACUATED , ........... I CAN RETURN HOME , ............... CALLED MY EFFIN HOUSE ................

Now I thought that type of dumb s### only happend in my country! :eek:hmy:

Lucky you had a answering service,or you may never have got to go home. :gogo

.Kurt.

CHEYENNE,

lol !! That's Classic !! ... :cheer: :laugh: :lol: :eek:hmy: ;)

Does Any one know how to Clean Mt. Dew Pitch Black out of an Apple Keyboard ? :blink WoW ! These napkins My wife gave Me aren't really doin th trick .... They balloon up & what's this string for ... :blush: :blink :woohoo: .. Hey ! Wait a Minute ... It says here .......

I am back! The Internet was AWOL for a while, but we were VERY lucky this go round. Cannot say that for the rest of the state, Tropical Storm / Hurricane or what ever, that much rain in the mountains that quickly only leads to trouble! Many towns in Vermont were cut off, and the flooding damage will be in the Billions, considering that the state only has 650,000 people....

JOHN,

Glad to hear that you are Dry Bro !! I saw th News footage & It looks like it's NUtty up there ! Glad to haer that you made it through !!

:drinks

Well...lost power and phone on Sunday- got power back late last night and just got the phone/Internet back. There's avideo from the front porch loading on You Tube now...we had big gusts like others mentioned and loads of rain. A couple of dams on the Mohawk and Hudson are in danger of breeching last I knew and most towns near here that are on the Hudson have flooded...minimal loss of life though which is good!

Well...not sure if I did this right, but here is my first You-Tube video ;)

Doesn't look too bad here, but at it's worse, those wind chimes were horizontal ;). At the end of the video, you can hear my daughter saying the power was out :D

Back